Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #1 
LadyNightraven

Aging water and water conditioner questions

When my fiance and I do water changes for our betta, we use water that we've aged in an old one-gallon milk jug. Usually we add the water conditioner to the water after we've cleaned Rakki's bowl and added the new water, but this last time we decided to add the water conditioner to the jug after filling it with new water for aging. The thing is, we have two of these jugs, and since Rakki is in a one-gallon bowl, we change his water 100% twice a week, which means the water sits in the jugs for about a week before being used. And I'm not sure how long water conditioner stays... active?... if there is no fish living in the water.

What I'm trying to ask with this rambling post is this: Is a week too long to allow water to age? Was it pointless to add the water conditioner to the newly-refilled water jugs which will be sitting for a week before being used? Would we be better off going back to adding the water conditioner after putting the water in the freshly-cleaned bowl next time? If so, should I dump the water currently in the jugs and start aging a fresh batch of water?

Thanks for any replies.
LadyNightraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #2 
ANHEL123

I am going to bump your thread so i can see other people reply. I would think the water is fine to use. But if no one reply i would do new water and put water conditioner either a day before you using it or 10 min before you using it.

I age water all the time. I found it very convenient because in the summer time i take heaters out, from all my tanks. So when i the water it will be the same temperature (room temperature)as their water,so i don't have to acclimate them. But i aged it only for about 24 hrs and i do put water conditioner before i age it. I also do full water changes.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 08-03-2013 at 11:36 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #3 
LADY K

i've never had a problem & do it that way.let water sit for a week with conditioner in it.doing it that way for years.
LADY K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #4 
LadyNightraven

Good to know. Thanks for the replies. I just want to make sure that Rakki will be okay when we do the next water change.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

Aging the water is useless...

If you added water conditioner to the water; which neutralized the chlorine, chloramines, and heavy metals, why are you aging?

Personally, I think it's a waste of time. And, aging the water won't really make the chloramines, either.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Any reason you are aging it if you are using water conditioner? Why not just use water straight from the tap with conditioner when doing changes rather than have it sit in a jug for a week?

All I do is put water in my bucket, add water conditioner, give it a swish around with my hand and add it to the tank. Never had any issues with doing it like that.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:16 AM   #7 
LadyNightraven

I was told by someone who breeds bettas that it's a good idea to age the water for at least 24 hours, but I've always used water conditioner for Rakki even before I started aging his water. The betta breeder said it was better for the betta that way. Was I misinformed? Or is this one of those matters where some betta keepers say it's better to age the water even if conditioner is used while others say it isn't necessary as long as water conditioner is used?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

I don't see a reason why any fish keeper would have to do that, besides not being able to have access to conditioners.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:46 AM   #9 
LadyNightraven

Hmmm. I might have to do some more reading and decide what works best for Rakki and for my fiance and me since it seems that we won't be harming Rakki whatever way we decide to do things with the water and conditioner. Thanks for your replies, LebronTheBetta and LittleBettaFish.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

If you are doing 100% water changes you just have to make certain that you have properly acclimatised your betta to the new water (sometimes aquarium water can be quite different to the water coming out of the tap for various reasons) to avoid constantly shocking them with a change in parameters.

I only age my water now if I am doing a change on some of my more sensitive fry tanks. There's no reason a healthy adult betta shouldn't be able to deal with water that hasn't been aged.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote