Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #1 
Seki

Aaaargh Hiei! Is this a small "blowout"?

I came home this evening and turned on my tank lights to discover a small round hole in one of my HMPKs' dorsal fin. He's still happy and swimming and flaring, so I'm guessing he's not injured at all. He's been flaring a lot more since I put another tank next to his... would this be considered a small "blowout"? Sorry for the dark quality of the pictures, my lamp shorted out so my only light source in my room right now is my fish tanks.

Should I put a folder or something between the tanks so he stops flaring so much?
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #2 
Micho

Yeah it seems like that tear is from flaring too much. :)

Hehe, cheeky little boys flaring at each other. Yes putting a barrier in between the tanks will stop them from flaring, it should heal up in no time in clean warm water.

A paper folder would work.

But finrot can start as pinholes, and so can ammonia poisoning. So I suggest doing a water parameters test, for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, just for safe measure.

Last edited by Micho; 08-04-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #3 
Seki

I was thinking that was what it might be. Haha if you look close in the last pic, you can see his partner in crime, Kurama, dancing around and taunting him.

His tank is cycled and I keep up with water changes, so hopefully he'll heal up in a matter of days. Silly boys haha. Too aggressive for their own good. I'll slide a folder between the tanks so they can chill out a little bit haha. Good to know it's not serious, though. Thank you!

ETA: I'll check his parameters, but the tank has been cycled for a long time, so I'm not too worried. Still, I'll check them out in the morning just to make sure all is well. ^_^
Old 08-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #4 
TheTrojanBetta

I just wanted to say that I love your bettas' names Seki. :) Brings back a lot of good memories.
TheTrojanBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #5 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTrojanBetta View Post
I just wanted to say that I love your bettas' names Seki. :) Brings back a lot of good memories.
Thank you! haha YYH was my favorite show when I was a kid, and Kurama and Hiei were my favorite characters! The name Hiei just fit the fish so well when I picked him out, I couldn't resist. And when I found this newest HMPK a couple weeks ago, I racked my brain for a name... until it hit me. Two HMPK males... one black, one pink... OBVIOUSLY they were Hiei and Kurama!!
Old 08-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #6 
TheTrojanBetta

That does fit well! It was one of my favorites too. The idea of little betta versions of Hiei and Kurama just makes me smile.
TheTrojanBetta is offline   Reply With Quote