Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2013, 12:11 AM   #1 
kjnewcome

female betta sorority tank...HELP!

I would LOVE to set up a female betta sorority tank. I have a 10g tank that I could use. I would like a large tank but since I already have 9 (8 up and running) hubby says no, not that I can blame. They have taken over the house. lol!

Anyway, I have had female bettas before but I have never had a sorority tank. From what I have read online you must get all the females and add them at the same time. I also read that you should have no less than 5 females.

Will a 10g tank be large enough for 5 females? Do all the females have to be the same size? I seen several that I liked but some were kinda small and I don't want to take a chance of them being a target for the larger ones.

I'd love to hear how you have your tank set up, how you got started and any advice you would like to give would be wonderful.

Thanks!
kjnewcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #2 
Seki

Yep, a ten gallon is a great starter sorority! I have a ten gallon with seven girls in it currently and it's working great! There was a bit of fin nipping and some stress stripes in the beginning, but everyone is settled in and calmed down at this point.

My girls are all pretty much the same size, but I do have a giant in there. At first, some of the other girls were pretty stressed about her, but they got over it within a few days. Now she's just one of the crew, and even she gets bullied a little sometimes by the alpha.

Sororities are a ton of fun, I'd say do it if you want one and have the space/supplies!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

I had a sorority recently, very worth the money. ^.^
Yup, 5 girls can definitely fit in a 10G. You can actually increase it to 6 or 7 girls, depending on the amount of plants. It has to be cycled and heated.

The females don't have to be the same size, not at all. I've heard many stories here with their smallest females the alpha, in my case my biggest was the nippiest. IMO the minimum is 4, but always get as many as you can. You don't have to get all of them at the same time, I added mine every few days up to 7 fish.

My tank setup in the past wasn't really "jungle" like. Just some silk plants in the back, and a few decorations at the front. My sorority did well, everyone gets nipped time to time. haha But it's normal.

The best advice I can give you, always quarantine new arrivals. My sorority was wiped out by guppies I only quarantined for 3 days, columnaris is a nasty disease.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #4 
kjnewcome

Thank you! I'm so excited! I still need to set the tank up and everything so it will be a little while before I'm ready. Do I have to add them all at once? I mean say I find 5 I really like but the next week I see another I just can't live without, could I add her?

So, a little fighting is ok and normal, correct? I hate the thought of someone getting hurt.

Oh and do the females have to be the same type, say all VTs or CTs and so on?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do this right so I don't end up with an injured (or worse) betta.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

A little fighting is okay. Missing scales, nipped fins, and runs are all normal. They're just trying to establish their pecking order. :D

Their tail types don't have to be the same at all, they don't really care. lol

And it's okay, to learn you must ask questions. ^.^

(I'm probably replying too fast, you didn't even get to reply to my post above yet. haha)
Old 08-04-2013, 12:42 AM   #6 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjnewcome View Post
Thank you! I'm so excited! I still need to set the tank up and everything so it will be a little while before I'm ready. Do I have to add them all at once? I mean say I find 5 I really like but the next week I see another I just can't live without, could I add her?

So, a little fighting is ok and normal, correct? I hate the thought of someone getting hurt.

Oh and do the females have to be the same type, say all VTs or CTs and so on?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I do this right so I don't end up with an injured (or worse) betta.
Yep, you can add fish after the fact, just use one of those breeder boxes that can either float in the tank or suction to the side. That way, the girls can see the new addition and she can see them and they can all learn to play nice without any danger to the fish. After a week or so, she'll be a nonevent, and you can quietly release her into the tank with the rest... no muss no fuss!

Fighting is absolutely normal, and unless you see serious damage being done (fins being ripped off or lots of missing scales or one girl constantly striped and hiding), don't interfere. They need to establish their pecking order, and the alpha needs to keep the others in line if they get uppity every now and then. ALL of my girls have had nipped fins at one point or another. Stress Coat is a wonderful thing for fast regrowth.

They don't have to be the same tail type. I have six VTs and one CT and they're just fine together. Also, as stated before, I have a giant among the littler girls and she's just fine, even with her outrageously long fins.

And tons of questions are fine!! I suggest PMing Lilnaugrim, she helped me when I was starting my sorority. Her advice is awesome!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:43 AM   #7 
kjnewcome

Thanks Lebron! I really appreciate the info. Oh and by the way Lil' Blue is doing great, I would have never thought that raising the water temp a couple degrees would do him so much good. He still has some issues with his fins being clamped but he is getting better, eating more and swimming around like a nut.

Took this picture 2 days after raising the water temp, look how much better his fins look? You can actually see them now. :)

Thank you for you help!

Old 08-04-2013, 12:44 AM   #8 
kjnewcome

Thank you Seki! I really appreciate your help. :)
Old 08-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjnewcome View Post
Thanks Lebron! I really appreciate the info. Oh and by the way Lil' Blue is doing great, I would have never thought that raising the water temp a couple degrees would do him so much good. He still has some issues with his fins being clamped but he is getting better, eating more and swimming around like a nut.

Took this picture 2 days after raising the water temp, look how much better his fins look? You can actually see them now. :)

Thank you for you help!

Yep, he's getting so much better! His fins aren't as clamped, it's great to hear he's getting progress. ^.^
Old 08-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #10 
kjnewcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Yep, he's getting so much better! His fins aren't as clamped, it's great to hear he's getting progress. ^.^
I'm so pleased, he has become my favorite (let's pretend I didn't say that..). He's so cute, every time I go over to talk to him to will swim up and just stare at me, hard not to love a little guy like that.