Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2009, 01:47 AM   #1 
ZanZan

New and unsure

My betta is a darker red, and I'm wondering about his tail ends and fin ends. They're sort of become clear, but they were red and fine when i got him. I read in a book that it's just a beta carotine deficiency, and with more of that in his diet, the colour may come back. My co-worker, who used to work for a pet store for many years, says that it's also a sign of old age. I've only had him for 3 months and he's already old! I asked at some pet stores if there were foods high in beta carotine that I could feed him, and it turned out i was already feeding him what had the higest ammount (Hikari Betta Bio-Gold).

He's pretty healthy in all other aspects, swims activly, flares at his reflection, and eats whenever there's food.

Am I doing something wrong for him to still not be getting the colour back, or is it going to be permanent? Did I do something to cause the colour loss? And if there is a way to get the colour back other than feeding him his food, what can I do? And is he really going to die so soon D:
ZanZan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:04 AM   #2 
AngelicScars

Could it possibly be early stages of Fin Rot?
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #3 
ZanZan

I don't think so, i've got salt in the aquarium and it's not going black or looking like chunks are falling off or anything. it's just, the colour almost looks like it's receding from the ends of his fins /cry
Old 05-18-2009, 02:55 AM   #4 
ZanZan

Here, I took a picture, the quality isn't that good because it's with my cellphone (only camera I have), and you can see his tail is clear >>
Old 05-18-2009, 04:19 AM   #5 
onekatietwo

Could it be that his fin is GROWING? And the new growth is clear? I think new growth is often clear at least for a while. If you got him from a petshop in a cup, the water might have been really dirty and his fins might not have been long as they could be. Now, in clean water, they could be growing.

Is this possible?
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:21 AM   #6 
onekatietwo

It could also be that he's just changing colors with age... but not necessarily old age. Maybe he was just full grown when you got him and now he's turning into an adult.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:35 AM   #7 
ZanZan

Hummm, I'm not sure I can say if they've grown or not >> But that would make some sense <3
Old 05-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

New growth is usually clear, like katie said. Color change could be from old age. Usually, when the fins are really long it means that they are older.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #9 
ZanZan

Ah, well I'm glad he's not dying or something, my co-worker made me a little upset by saying he probably wouldn't live for very much longer, but he seems so happy. thanks <3~
Old 05-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #10 
IonBaller07

Yah he could be growing or just changing color from different water conditions, the male in my avatar was nearly pure white when I bought him.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote