Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #1 
sniggex325

Talking Hello Everyone! New Betta Owner

Hello everyone!
I am excited to be part of this community as a new betta owner. My daughter was bought a Betta fish two days ago and we have been doing a lot of research on it's care and other things that involve caring for the little guy. He is a blue Veiltail Betta male. We would already love to have more fish but have quickly learned that we most likely won't be able to house our betta with another fish. He doesn't have a name yet but we are always working on something for him on a regular basis.
Thank you all for reading!
-Shay
sniggex325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #2 
yarslov

Congrats on the fish! They are wonderful fish and they have spunky personality's.
My sister bought my 2 year old a Betta and I caved in and bought one for myself. Her fish is in her room and mine is in the kitchen (he's my buddy)
yarslov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #3 
BettaLover1313

Welcome to the forum!

Depending on the size of your tank & the personality of your little guy, you could possibly house him with some other tank mates (not another male betta of course). I'm sure there's a topic and/or forum that could give you some ideas as to possible tank mates. Or, you could go the route of dividing your tank and getting another male.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #4 
sniggex325

Hello everyone!
Thank you all for your input. Our fish which is now named "Johnny" doesn't seem to be showing much of a personality yet. He doesn't interact with us a lot, but does like to swim around his bowl and stare at the television. My daughter says that she is "just dying for another fish" so we have been browsing the web looking for more information on compatible tank mates. I think I will just buy another small fish bowl and surprise her that or possibly purchase a large tank and get a few different fish who are all compatible together. I would feel bad having Johnny all alone, but it might be the best solution.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #5 
TheTrojanBetta

Don't feel bad! Both my bettas are housed alone and they couldn't be happier with it. :) And I know that feeling! Despite not being able to house anymore bettas at the moment, it doesn't stop me from wanting to! They're addicting.
TheTrojanBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #6 
sniggex325

Yeah we are really wanting another fish, we were in Walmart the other day and I guess they are having a Betta sale because they had them in the fish aisle and in the center aisles with fish bowls and other things on display. It made me sad though to see so many without homes and in less than great condition. We also looked in their tanks and they had three dead goldfish piled up at the top. Soo sad. Those fish aren't being taken care of. I would totally house them all if I could
Old 08-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #7 
TheTrojanBetta

Yup, Walmart is pretty terrible with fish. That's where Odysseus, my first betta came from, knowing what I do now though about how fish should be properly taken care of, I don't know that I would get one from there again. I know I'm not going to make much of a difference, not buying there myself, but still. It's the principle of the matter. I've gone to the Walmart nearest me and seen dead fish floating, dead fish on the floor, just dead, dead, dead. Or suffering. Immensely.
However, that being said, I would not give Odysseus up for the world. I just wish he hadn't been placed in the position where I had to rescue him in the first place.
TheTrojanBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #8 
sniggex325

Exactly! The quality of care there is low. We purchased Johnny from Petco, but I wasn't there so I can't speak of the quality of those fishes. I just really hope that it was better. Johnny is beginning to show signs of his personality!! I am excited, and can see that he might be a very aggressive fish. My daughter left the fish food container next to his bowl and while I was online early I just so happened to notice he was flaring up and staring at something but wasn't sure what was upsetting him. Turns out he was looking at the fish food container which has a picture of a Betta. I moved it and he seemed to have calmed down.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #9 
BettaLover1313

I got Merlin from a Wal-Mart, and I love him to death, but I don't think I'd ever get one from a Wal-Mart ever again. Just haven't had good experiences with fish from there, not to mention how poorly the fish are cared for there.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #10 
sniggex325

Yeah, the fish there aren't taken care of to the best of the employees ability. I used to work at WalMart and I enjoyed working there and took pride in my job but a lot of the other employees didn't. They did the bare minimum and didn't show a lot of respect toward products or people. It's sad that they can't show another living creature even a decent amount of respect. I also think that it is ridiculous that they have so many Betta fish right now. Is it a major selling season or something? I am wondering if they can't sell all the fish they have in the center aisles, what is going to happen to them? They are fully stocked on the shelves already, there won't be any room for the fishes in the aisle. It's abuse, actually now that I think about it :/