Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2013, 09:26 PM   #1 
summersea

New Betta - What type of double tail is he?!

This is Razz! I bought him from a LFS yesterday and after a bit of a traumatic start he is starting to settle into his new tank!

I am still very new to Bettas but have looked around and realized that double tails can have different fins. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type his would be - veil tail or half moon perhaps? I think he is still pretty young as his fins are not very long and he is still pretty tiny (body is less than 2 inches).

I appreciate anyone's input!
Attached Images

summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #2 
Seki

He's so pretty!! I'm never the best at identifying tail types, but I think he'd be a doubletail super delta? But if anyone else says something different, I'd probably trust their judgment over mine haha.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #3 
summersea

Oooo - I looked up pictures of double tail deltas and that would be pretty! I love a bit of a guessing game
Old 08-04-2013, 11:00 AM   #4 
summersea

So I took some more pictures this morning and his tail is already starting to grow! I didn't realize fins grew that fast (at least that is what I am assuming the clear parts on his fins are...) as it has been almost exactly 24 hours since I took the first pic! I can't wait to see what he will look like when his fins have really grown out!
Attached Images

Old 08-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #5 
Seki

Ah, what a looker he is!

Yep, fins can grow extremely fast! Girls always have nips or rips in their fins in my sorority, and usually the fins are healed almost completely by the very next morning. Sometimes it takes two days at the most. Even my goofball of a plakat managed to blow out his dorsal flaring too much last night... and it's already started healing this morning. Warm, clean water does wonders for these fish!

PS: Careful of your betta hammock! I've heard some companies put a metal wire in them, so you might want to check yours to make sure it doesn't have it. If it does, you can pull it right out.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #6 
summersea

Oh, I didn't realize that about the hammocks! I will check mine and take care of that! Wouldn't want it messing with my little guys water! Thanks!
Old 08-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #7 
Dragonlady

He appears to be a delta double tail in the photo, and he is also adorable!.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #8 
summersea

So, what is the difference between a delta and a super delta? I love learning all of this new information about Bettas...I may be becoming slightly obsessed!
Old 08-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

He seems to be a normal DT.

The difference between a super delta and a delta is that a super delta is closer to an 180* spread, but not quite. A delta is just a fish with a bad spread; around 165*. Your fish appears to be a delta. He's beautiful. :D
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #10 
summersea

Thanks you for clarifying that for me! That way I have some idea what to tell people when I describe him!

Now will the clear growth on his fins turn the purple color or white? His lower fins have white outside edges so was wondering if his other fins might do the same as they grow out.