Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #11 
Lamb

I was wondering, is the female a veiltail?
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #12 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The female looks to be a veiltail or a roundtail.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #13 
Lamb

So I guess what we should ask now is what are OP's goals? I do like the male though. I would like to call him Mo. Lol.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #14 
millersrepairshop

The female was sold as a halfmoon, but I'm not so sure that she is by the looks of her. Today they went to the embrace (I witnessed 6-7 times within 30 minutes) The female appears to be eating half of the eggs that fall and also bringing some up to the nest along with the male. Is that normal? She still appears to be full of eggs. Not sure when to pull her out.
Attached Images

millersrepairshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #15 
Lamb

I took the female out when she stopped going to the nest to wrap. It told me she was finished at least, it's hard to tell. But I'm guess you'll know when it's time. For me the whole process took 2 hours. Good luck!

I don't know if you saw my post above, but what are your goals for breeding?
Old 08-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #16 
millersrepairshop

My apologies for not seeing your message earlier. To be completely honest, I am simply trying to reacclimate myself with the process of betta breeding. I have no intentions of showing nor selling the offspring from this pair. (I doubt they would be desirable to anymore). I have spoken with a local pet shop and was told that they would take any and all offspring once they reach 1-2 months of age. Which works out great for me! So I guess you could say it is an experiment, however the fry will not be destroyed or abandoned. I am trying to prepare myself for the 2 males and 2 females which I ordered that should arrive in a few days. Those will be the fish I would like to breed. I will add pictures of the fish that are on their way. One is a Mustard gas HM and the other is a green dragon HM. And the females are.. a green dragon multi color HM as well as a black female. Any suggestions on breeding those?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #17 
Lamb

It's good to have a goal in mind when you're making your pairs. Are you doing it more for color? or for form? I know I bought a few betta I didn't even need when I started purchasing and had to give them away for free (they were $15 each and then shipping) because I was overzealous with shopping.

Do you know what you want to produce? The line I'm working on is blue grizzle, then I will breed my male to my purple female and attempt a purple grizzle line. Keeping good form in mind would be beneficial if you're planning on selling and at least breaking even.

The black girl looks PK... Maybe someone will correct me, but she looks PK to me. Also be careful when you purchase blacks and make sure they're not Melano females, they're infertile. (I'm still trying to figure out how to tell the difference so I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable will chime in!).

Maybe look into reading the stickys here? I know those helped A LOT! There are great links, I frequent bettysplendens.com.

Good luck!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #18 
millersrepairshop

I have an idea of what I would like to produce, but I doubt I will ever end up with exactly what I want. I am going for color first, then form. I can show you what I would eventually love to end up with, but I have no idea how to get there. The picture below is NOT mine (watermarked eBetta) but this is what I would love to end up with! I hope I'm not breaking the rules by posting a picture of a fish that isn't mine. If so, please remove. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 PM   #19 
Ilikebutterflies

Wow, is that a dragonscale mustard gas(or also known as purple/yellow bi-color with dragonscaling)? Cool colors. You should be able to reproduce that. The purple may be a bit tricky. I see MG's fairly often and clean yellows are becoming easier to find as well. I say go for it!
I would buy some of those from you just to look at.
From what I understand mustard gas breeds pretty true. I would start out with a nice pair of MG. Find the cleanest best contrasting colors that you can. If you need to clean up fins go with yellow fish as to not loose the darker color. Now that fish, while stunning color wise, has it's fair share of finnage faults. Save yourself some time and get good fins AND good color if you can find it. If you can't find it, go for color first.

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 08-05-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:27 PM   #20 
Lamb

That's a gorgeous fish! I even see a little orange? I am still learning but maybe ask for suggestions in a new thread? I love listening to all of the input from the experienced members. The knowledge they give is invaluable.

Tags
beginner, betta, breeding, new betta and setup, pretty bettas, where di you get them?