Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #21 
Ilikebutterflies

Breed your purples together(green dragons?). Nice start colorwise I might add. You are probably going to lose a good bit of the MG you were after but breed the best f1 female back to the dad and the best f1 male to the very best cleanest MG female you can find. Breed their offspring together...if you have room for 2 spawns at a time that is.
The black female looks plakat-nice form on her though. You will get longer finned plakats most likely. Look to get very rounded caudals out of that pairing. Breed the offspring of that to the very best black/yellow HM or HMPK that you can find OR find a very good yellow HM female to preserve the Bi-color and work on his caudal.

So, IMHO, good start with the bi-colors. Just make sure not to breed any red or irid into your black line. I think that will make things messy. Your purple f1 will have dragonscale patches. If you want more dragonscaling you will have to add that in. I'd go with yellow dragons to preserve the bi-color and not mess with the purple.

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 08-05-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #22 
Lamb

Yay! Looks like you don't need a new thread after all! Thank you ilikebutterflies!
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #23 
Ilikebutterflies

Meh, just my amateur opinion I think there is enough yellow wash on the purple ones(green dragons??) to actually push that line towards the original purple MG the OP had in mind. As far as that goes, the OP could breed the original male to non-red females(as suggested earlier) and work at bi colors with him as well. He would make irid bi-colors like steel, royal, turq and copper.

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 08-05-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #24 
millersrepairshop

Thanks for the wonderful advice Ilikebutterflies. You have truly been a great help with excellent ideas and info. You have given me some great ideas! And thanks to everyone else who has posted and made me welcome here. I have been reading the color genetics guide on here for the last few days and I things are starting to sink in and I am starting to understand it all a little better now. Really glad you understand the direction I want to go and you think it is possible.
millersrepairshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #25 
indjo
TFK Moderator

+1 Ilikebutterflies

The female's behavior is normal. She will always return to the nest once in a while until she is ready to spawn. It may take longer though since this is her first time.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner, betta, breeding, new betta and setup, pretty bettas, where di you get them?