Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #1 
Lamb

Grizzle HM Kio, and Blue HM Gem Spawn August 1st, 2013

I have successfully had my first spawn. No one was harmed, and seemed quite a bit calmer than I was expecting. Kio, the male grizzle hm, would swim over to Gem, the female, to let her know it was time to embrace again. It took about 2 hours for the spawning to be complete, and Gem did eat a few eggs, but luckily Kio would chase her off before she ate more than one after each wrapping.

Name:  IMG_5451.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5195.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  32.4 KB

The eggs hatched yesterday (August 2nd, 2013) at 3 pm, which was pretty much exactly 24 hours after spawning.

Today I decided to test water changes, and also counted every single fry and held them in containers until the water change was complete. I did however add the old water they were in, into the new water. I also harvested the bubble nest with a spoon and reintroduced Kio and he immediately picked up every single fry of the 495 and put the in the plants and bubble nest.

I plan to leave him with the fry until they are free swimming and can swim to the surface without problems.

I have noticed however that the fry do already show differences in appearance. Not deformities, but some seem to be larger or have more 'color' on them than the others. I did cull 2 fry who seemed deformed and weren't very strong and appeared to struggle with moving even the tips of their tails.

I have video documented of the spawn and the hatch.

My hope is that I won't lose many fry. All seem healthy and active.

Name:  IMG_5643.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  57.2 KB
Name:  Fry.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  61.3 KB
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:39 PM   #2 
Fenghuang

Congratulations, Lamb! Both the parents are gorgeous. I'm interested to see how the babies turn out. :)
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #3 
Lamb

Thanks! I'm hoping to get a few grizzles. :)
Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #4 
Lamb

Day 3

Day 3, all of the betta fry are free swimming.
Kio is still being a good care taker so I will leave him in until they are transferred to the 20 gallon grow out tank. I did a 1/6 water change, all seem well even hours after the water change. Some are venturing to the other side of the spawning tank as Kio follows them to make sure they don't fall.
I noticed yesterday that some of the fry didn't have yolk sacks? Maybe a reason for such a high death rate in fry? I added some green water and a small amount of mw. Kio seemed to be cleaning up the mw after I added it. I will be trying egg yolk later before another water change which will be a 50%. My hope is that the stunt hormone will be reduced early on and the fry will flourish in the conditions I'm providing. I do need to purchase more jars if the majority make it to the grow out tank. I only have 100 sets.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #5 
Lamb

Day 3 Continued...

Added some green water from a votive outside, there were worm like creatures in the algae so I had to be careful. Not quite sure what they are, but I managed to add 3 pipettes of green water to the 6 gallons in the spawning tank. I also introduced some daphnia to the grow out tank. I'm hoping to start a colony there so the fry can eat them when they are old enough. I'm going to have to be careful not to siphon out the daphnia when I change the water, but hopefully since the current is low on the filter, they will grow and add some vital nutrients to the fry's diets.

At 2:30 pm today I had to take Kio out. He ate a few fry, I thought he was going to spit them back out like he normally did, but alas, they never made it out of his mouth. I will be counting the fry again when I move them to the grow out tank. I think I may move them at one week old, there is much more surface area in the spawning tank, and it may prove too difficult to feed them in the spawning tank. I've since added a good amount of green water and twice with mw. I will be changing the water more tonight. I think I may do another gallon change but I'm not sure. I may wait to do another change in the morning. Today may have been too stressful.

In the pictures you can kind of see the slight differences of the fry.
Name:  Fry August 5th, 2013.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5644.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  41.2 KB
Old 08-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #6 
Lamb

Day 4

9:00am~This morning upon very close inspection I found 2 fry dead. There was fungus starting to grow so I've decided to do another 100% water change. There are still a lot of fry, so I don't think I've lost too many. I have fed watered down egg yolk, though I've only noticed a few eating it.

The fry are currently in containers floating and acclimating to the spawning tank. I'm tempted to just add them to the grow out tank, but I want the heater to become more stable since it's brand new.

In the grow out tank, the daphnia seem to be happy and there are still quite a bit in there and the eggs are still floating on top. I hope the culture continues to grow until the fry are big enough to start eating them.

I will let the fry acclimate until my baby takes her afternoon nap, then I will be doing another head count of the fry and putting any deceased into a cup to later inspect. From what I see they had fungus, so hopefully this water change will prevent others from dying.

I realize some people may think that it's too early to start water changes, but I have noticed it's way too difficult to remove all of the food that is added to the tank. The tank has so much surface area that the fry are always so spread apart minus corners. They seem to frequent corners. I will continue to do water changes as I feel necessary. No one seems too stressed about them, and this is the third water change they have gone through. I hope this is helping more than it's hurting.

12:30~Finished the head count, I am down to 410 fry. After inspecting closely, I only found 6 dead and 4 were undeveloped eggs. I am assuming Kio ate more than I had thought. I should have taken him out yesterday morning. I won't be leaving the male betta in with the fry longer than 3 days.

I'm very disappointed that 85 fry are deceased. It seems pretty high considering. Hopefully the clean conditioned water will prevent others from getting fungus. I will also leave the cover on longer in the day.

I have fed another dose of MWs. I'm hoping the fry are eating, but I only see a few actually doing so anytime I feed.

I will feed boiled egg yolk again later today, probably before bed.

Last edited by Lamb; 08-06-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I'm confused... Do you have 85 or 410 fry? I'm sure I'm missing something here... Lol. As long as you are careful water changes at this age will be fine.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #8 
Lamb

I am down 85 which means I now only have 410. Sorry! I need a better choice of words!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Oh... No prob. I should have read more carefully!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #10 
Lamb

No. I can see how it could be confusing. I'll change it now. Thanks Matt!!! :)