Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #11 
Emparios

Ooh, the parents are beautiful ^-^ Can't wait to see the babies when they've grown!
Emparios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #12 
Lamb

Thank you! The fry already vary in appearance, at first I thought it could be gender, but after observing them there are several different shades, including some very pale. I am hoping for some platinum like dad. :D
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:09 AM   #13 
Lamb

Day 5

This morning I found that fungus is continuing to grow. I've found 3 dead fry, 2 from fungus and one from unknown reasons (didn't realize there was food maybe). That would take me to 407, though I'm not sure because I did not do a head count today. I think I might move them at one week to the grow out tank. Other than that I fed with MW this morning at 7 am and completed a 2/3 water change.

They fry look great otherwise. I'm excited to have learned that the color variations mean the different colors. I'm hoping that the 50ish super white ones are platinum like their father. I can't wait to see for sure!

Name:  IMG_5656.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  28.5 KB
Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Cute! Can't wait to see them grow!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #15 
bambijarvis

Since the water is really low when I first breed, I usually just add more water a little at a time(via a drip line) until it's full instead of doing a real water change.Turkey baster to suck up the bits on the bottom.

Doing a huge water change can stress the fry(quick change in water conditions/temp if it wasn't brought up to temp) and that can lead to death.
Most deaths tend to happen in the first week or two, too.

My grandmother is on oxygen, so we have a lot of long air cords laying around. I find I can cut to length and thread through a stiff tube(or, like those portfolio clip things everyone uses to divide tanks) so it doesn't float and I can siphon/vacuum out the stuff every day/twice a day without bothering the fry the hole is small so you don't risk sucking up fry.
I use the same cord to slowly add the new/clean water.
This means in my ten gallon I can do two separate 2-4 gallon water changes a day without bothering the fry much(if anything they seem to like following the thing).

To each their own though, you have a decent sized spawn it seems so you'll still have your hands full.

Sorry to hear about the fungus, bleh.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #16 
Lamb

I'm using a shallow clear plastic tote for the spawning tank. I haven't moved them to the 20 gallon yet, so there's no room to add water. As for finding ways not to disturb them, I haven't found the best options yet. But I figure that if any die due to stress they were probably not too strong in the first place. I only found 3 today, and the 85 from yesterday was partially fungus but mostly Kio eating them. He's made SO MANY movements already. I believe he ate most. I think cleaning the tank is helping more than it's hurting because I do 2 water changes a day, one larger one in the morning and partial one in the evening.

I bring up the temperature to the tank temp every time I change water. I check with a digital aquarium thermometer and a infrared thermometer to make sure it's as close as it can be.

But since you bring up the drip method, who exactly do you do it? I can only think the water container has to be higher than the tank... I don't know if there's a place for me to do that.

And Thanks lilnaugrim!!! :)
Old 08-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah the container you'd be taking water out of has to be higher than the tank for the flow to work since it also works on suction. Can't get a high chair or something like that?

When I do drip, I get some duct tape and tape the open end of the tube to the bucket I'm taking water from and make sure the tube reaches to the bottom first before taping. Then on the other end you tie a knot or two and that rests in the tank that you're moving water to. Then you start the suction by sucking on the knotted end of the tube and adjust water flow with the knots and voila, drip method
Old 08-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #18 
Lamb

Lol. I have a high chair, but it's lower than the kitchen counter, which is where the spawning tank is. :/ I think maybe if I clear out the cabinet above it, it might work.

Thank you for the instructions! I think I'll try it tomorrow! How long does it take to drip a gallon of water?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can always stack things, it doesn't have to be fully higher than the tank, just higher than the water line. And it depends on how much you're dripping, if it's 1 drip per second then, actually I don't know how long it will take since I don't know how many drops are in a gallon >< lol but I feel it's not much longer than 50-60 minutes, it will be faster if you have more than 1 drop per second though.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #20 
Lamb

Sounds good. What amount would be the safest, without being 'too safe' about it?