Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #1 
Refrigerate

Question Is it alright to switch tanks?

I have had 12 smaller fish (not betas) which unfortunately all died because of a disease I'm not able to 'diagnose'. But, I thoughtlessly used their net on one of my favorite betas and because of this he died two days ago.

I've washed out his 5 gallon tank with hot water, including his plastic plants and bridge. Now, my question is - can I use his old tank, decor and plants for one of my other betas? I believe he had either ich or velvet so I'm not sure if it'll spread to my other healthy beta. Is it worth cleaning out again? And if so, should I use bleach or something? I've heard from many not to use cleaning products but I really can't stand to lose another one of my babies.

Thanks
Refrigerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #2 
IonBaller07

I would think it would be ok, but it probably depends on what the disease was in the first place. If your really worried about it your local petstore probably has some stuff too clean it out with. Or you could use vinegar but that stuff stinks.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #3 
crowntail lover

I am sure it will be fine..
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I used vinegar and water to clean a tank someone gave me. I don't know if any fish died in it or not but it turned out ok. I cleaned with half water and half vinegar. Yes, it does stink but it works. It needs to be rinsed REALLY good. I was told to rinse until the smell is gone.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #5 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

+ 1 on the vinegar. Am I the only one who likes the smell of vinegar? I think the reason that I like the smell is that I associate it with germ killing ability and cleanliness...

Most, if not all, fish illness/disease/parasites require water as a medium in order to thrive so by letting something dry out completely (after cleaning) will ensure that "icky" things are not spread.

Last edited by aunt kymmie; 05-17-2009 at 03:14 PM.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

Well I never used a used tank other then my criter keeper. And no fish died in it so.....Whatever you think will prob be good
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't really mind the smell too much, like Kym said, it makes everything smell clean. Sometimes the smell can be overpowering though.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #8 
Refrigerate

Oh alright. I never heard of using vinegar before but I'll try it. Thanks again.
Refrigerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:14 AM   #9 
onekatietwo

Looooove vinegar. I use it to clean EVERYTHING. The smell usually neutralizes itself pretty quickly so I wouldn't even worry about the smell too much. Even if you hate it, it's only for a few minutes.

Also make sure everything DRIES really well. This will help ensure that no viruses or bacteria or anything can live on the surface. I would dry it out SUPER well and then maybe let it sit in a really warm (and not humid) room or outside in the sun for a day or a day and a half.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #10 
Red Betta

It should be okay. I would wash it, let the tank dry for about 3 days(since this should kill any remaining disease), and then wash it one more time. Then just add water, condition, etc. Then hopefully you dont lose any more bettas.
Red Betta is offline   Reply With Quote