Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2013, 01:48 AM   #11 
ismintis

Hmm, I agree. I don't want to take away from the purpose of this thread so I hope a mod can figure out what's going on!
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #12 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismintis View Post
Hmm, I agree. I don't want to take away from the purpose of this thread so I hope a mod can figure out what's going on!
It was a SPAMBOT programmed to go into threads or start threads and insert links. Always report them so the mods can ban them.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #13 
ReeseInPieces

Thanks yeah I tried soaking it in very hot water now the smell is almost completely gone
ReeseInPieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #14 
ismintis

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
It was a SPAMBOT programmed to go into threads or start threads and insert links. Always report them so the mods can ban them.
Wow that's interesting, I'll be sure to report one if I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReeseInPieces View Post
Thanks yeah I tried soaking it in very hot water now the smell is almost completely gone
Great! I'm glad it worked :)
ismintis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #15 
HeadlessLegoMom

I don't see the point of a spambot. I doubt it generates much business for the links they post

Aslo, did you do a search to find the name of the spray stuff people use to seal their aquarium decor?
HeadlessLegoMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #16 
ReeseInPieces

I would very much like to know what product that is
ReeseInPieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #17 
HeadlessLegoMom

Try doing a search in the forum for aquarium sealant
Old 08-06-2013, 12:00 AM   #18 
HeadlessLegoMom

I think there is info in this thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....rous+ornaments
Old 08-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #19 
HeadlessLegoMom

Here I think this is the stuff: Krylon Clear You have to let it dry for 24-48 hours to be extra safe and I think someone said something about soaking it after it has been coated... Maybe contact Skyewillow or Stone with a private message or make a thread asking what to soak in and how long.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:12 AM   #20 
HeadlessLegoMom

Sorry for so many posts, but here is more info from SkyeWillow:

Hot water is suspected to cause the sealing coat to degrade and release toxins into the water. Bleach CAN be used in low doses, but needs soaking in dechlorinated water afterwards.

Vinegar is a good product to use, since it sterilizes but isn't harsh. Again, ornaments cleaned with this product need to be rinsed.

When something has a strong scent, it means that there's chemicals causing that scent, and it's slowly diffusing into the water. Similar to how Carbon Monoxide would diffuse into the air of a house, causing toxicity.

If you're really worried about it, just take it out of your tank real quick, take a quick sniff. If it smells like water, or like a lake, it's fine, but if it smells like paint, or chemicals, then either toss, or reseal.

Originally Posted by Perseusmom
Hey Skye I have never used the krylon fusion and was wondering if it has any odor to and which type do you use to spray on the decorations ? I was thinking of trying some...Thanks.

Originally Posted by Perseusmom
Hey Skye I have never used the krylon fusion and was wondering if it has any odor to and which type do you use to spray on the decorations ? I was thinking of trying some...Thanks.

I used the clear coat. IF it works there is no smell after soaking

Tags
castle, toxic, toys, unsafe