Betta Fish Forum banner

SAFE OR TOXIC.? Smells like plastic?

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  HeadlessLegoMom 
#1 ·
So I just got a new ill castle for my cheekie but I read an article about them smelling funny. I rinsed the ornament and it kinda smells like plastic, like a new toy or somthing. I just wanna know if its safe? It's made by PENN PLAX any one heard anything bad about their products?

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
I have an ornament made by Penn-Plax as well that had a strong plastic odor. I soaked it in boiling water for about an hour, hour an half. Then I rinsed it off in cold water and soaked again in room temperature. Now I only smell the plastic on the inside which isn't very strong at all, only if you are picking it out. I put it in my aquarium and haven't had any problems!

#9 ·
I'm confused about the links randomly in the middle of his replies...is it just me that can see them? One is for shoes and boots or something and the other is for camera cards, I'm not sure :-?

#10 ·
It seems like this member is genuinely responding to threads, but then there are two advertisements mixed up in each message....

I know that this board has advertising, like your last post had a link in the words "the middle", but his/her links are random and have nothing to do with what (s)he is typing...

#11 ·
Hmm, I agree. I don't want to take away from the purpose of this thread so I hope a mod can figure out what's going on!

#15 ·
I don't see the point of a spambot. I doubt it generates much business for the links they post :sarcastic:

Aslo, did you do a search to find the name of the spray stuff people use to seal their aquarium decor?

#19 ·
Here I think this is the stuff: Krylon Clear You have to let it dry for 24-48 hours to be extra safe and I think someone said something about soaking it after it has been coated... Maybe contact Skyewillow or Stone with a private message or make a thread asking what to soak in and how long.

#20 ·
Sorry for so many posts, but here is more info from SkyeWillow:

Hot water is suspected to cause the sealing coat to degrade and release toxins into the water. Bleach CAN be used in low doses, but needs soaking in dechlorinated water afterwards.

Vinegar is a good product to use, since it sterilizes but isn't harsh. Again, ornaments cleaned with this product need to be rinsed.

When something has a strong scent, it means that there's chemicals causing that scent, and it's slowly diffusing into the water. Similar to how Carbon Monoxide would diffuse into the air of a house, causing toxicity.

If you're really worried about it, just take it out of your tank real quick, take a quick sniff. If it smells like water, or like a lake, it's fine, but if it smells like paint, or chemicals, then either toss, or reseal.

Originally Posted by Perseusmom
Hey Skye I have never used the krylon fusion and was wondering if it has any odor to and which type do you use to spray on the decorations ? I was thinking of trying some...Thanks.

Originally Posted by Perseusmom
Hey Skye I have never used the krylon fusion and was wondering if it has any odor to and which type do you use to spray on the decorations ? I was thinking of trying some...Thanks.

I used the clear coat. IF it works there is no smell after soaking

#21 ·
Last one I promise. Sorry again, but I hope this helps. Also from SkyeWillow:

this is the paint I used. there's other krylon fusion clear coats (that would probably work better), but this is the one my fiance bought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.