Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #1 
Judson

Smile Hello Everyone!

Hello all! I wanted to introduce myself to the community. My name is Judson, but I also go by Jud. I just bought three bettas (pictures below) with the hopes of successfully breeding. I have tried to breed bettas when I was younger but was unable to make it happen. Since that time I've gone through high school and am now starting my 4th year of college and will be applying to med school after another 3 years. The reason for the last sentence was to justify the wild names of my bettas. I am very interested in neuroscience so I have decided to name all my current and future bettas after parts of the brain. Meet my bettas!

Sorry for the poor image quality, I was using my iPhone camera.

This is my first female. I named her Serotonin.

My second female, Dopamine.

Here are the girls together. I went with a separated tank but am considering removing the divider after they become acclimated with the environment and one another.

My one and only male at the moment, gamma-Aminobutyric acid (or GABA for short).

GABA again.

I've been browsing these forms for a while now and finally decided to make an account. I hope to learn a lot more now that I crawled out of my shell and made an account!!
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #2 
Happyhobbit

Location: You know, that is a very, very good question... and you know, I have an answer for you... somewhere.
Welcome! I must have been lurking for at least a year before I joined myself. Your bettas are so pretty, I hope you enjoy your time here!
Happyhobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:00 AM   #3 
Judson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyhobbit View Post
Welcome! I must have been lurking for at least a year before I joined myself. Your bettas are so pretty, I hope you enjoy your time here!
Thanks Happyhobbit!

I hope to learn a lot more now that I can ask questions! :)

I just picked up this fella today. The owner said he is from a breeder in Florida. I'm hoping to use him as a resource as well! :P

I still don't have a name for him yet, but here is a pic:

Cheers!
Old 08-07-2013, 02:39 AM   #4 
JayM

I laughed at your names. Very nice fish. Dumbo ear has lovely colouring too.
Is recommended to have 5+ females in a sorority. We're setting up a sorority tomorrow. Good luck.
JayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #5 
Judson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
I laughed at your names. Very nice fish. Dumbo ear has lovely colouring too.
Is recommended to have 5+ females in a sorority. We're setting up a sorority tomorrow. Good luck.
Thank you! I hope to have a name for him soon.

My "betta expert" LPS employee said to start with 2 females. Yet, he also recommended that I breed veiltails, which I am now finding out is not as desirable as HM/HMPK/CT/Dumbos. I don't think I will be trusting his opinion anymore!

I'm interested to know what your tank setup looks like for your sorority. Let me know if you upload images!
Old 08-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #6 
Actress101
Banned

Hey there! I am knew to this forum but not new to breeding that's for sure. Feel free to aske me anything but I must warn you, don't breed veil tails! That is one of the worst things you could do when you start breeding bettas. Many people use them for experimental spawns to see if they can do it. I am telling you now, you can if you follow the proper procedures.
Your fish are pretty but aside from your dumbo they are pet store right??
The females you shouldn't breed as they are veil tails, yes females have different tail types.
Don't trust lfs (local fish store) employees, most have no idea what they are doing or only half of an idea. If you have any questions ask me or another member.
I will post a pic of my sorority.
10 gallons is the bare minimum for a sorority. 15 gallons and up is what is recommended.
You need to have lots of silk or lie plants to provide cover as they will bully each other. Until you have a proper sorority set up keep your females separate. Even in my sorority I had a female rip a hole in the side of another killing my fish.
My sorority is 20 gallons and has all live plants and 5 females. If you do get live plants make sure you get proper lighting and fertilizers and try buy from a local person or online as you will save lots of money.
It is nice to see how willing of an attitude you have to learn.
Attached Images

Actress101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #7 
Judson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actress101 View Post
Hey there! I am knew to this forum but not new to breeding that's for sure. Feel free to aske me anything but I must warn you, don't breed veil tails! That is one of the worst things you could do when you start breeding bettas. Many people use them for experimental spawns to see if they can do it. I am telling you now, you can if you follow the proper procedures.
Your fish are pretty but aside from your dumbo they are pet store right??
The females you shouldn't breed as they are veil tails, yes females have different tail types.
Don't trust lfs (local fish store) employees, most have no idea what they are doing or only half of an idea. If you have any questions ask me or another member.
I will post a pic of my sorority.
10 gallons is the bare minimum for a sorority. 15 gallons and up is what is recommended.
You need to have lots of silk or lie plants to provide cover as they will bully each other. Until you have a proper sorority set up keep your females separate. Even in my sorority I had a female rip a hole in the side of another killing my fish.
My sorority is 20 gallons and has all live plants and 5 females. If you do get live plants make sure you get proper lighting and fertilizers and try buy from a local person or online as you will save lots of money.
It is nice to see how willing of an attitude you have to learn.

Thanks for the info and picture! All of my fish are store-bought... I am a total noob at this stuff. Will that make it harder for me to breed my dumbo? Could you direct me to a reputable website for buying good breeder fish? I'm thinking about buying a female dumbo off the internet. maybe another male too. It's a lot to take in!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #8 
Actress101
Banned

No problem. It is a lot to take in. Do you plan to show your fish? If so you should join the IBC (International Betta Congress) google it if you need to. Even if you don't show you should still join as you can see the betta standards and talk to many great breeders. I don't think Dumbo's in other words Big Ears are able to show on the circuit but I am not really up to date with everything.
Try talking to Basement Bettas he has nice fish and lots of connections so he could hook you up with someone who has what you are looking for if he doesn't have it.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #9 
Judson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actress101 View Post
No problem. It is a lot to take in. Do you plan to show your fish? If so you should join the IBC (International Betta Congress) google it if you need to. Even if you don't show you should still join as you can see the betta standards and talk to many great breeders. I don't think Dumbo's in other words Big Ears are able to show on the circuit but I am not really up to date with everything.
Try talking to Basement Bettas he has nice fish and lots of connections so he could hook you up with someone who has what you are looking for if he doesn't have it.
I don't plan to show right away, but it's definitely something I will consider as I advance in the hobby. I tried to look up the Basement Bettas, but the website is very hard to navigate. I created an account and am still having trouble. I would like to find a nice pair (hopefully dumbo, purple/white or blue/white in color) that are from the same spawn. That would be ideal.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #10 
Actress101
Banned

BasementBettas is also a member on here, if you are having troubles navigating his site try contact him on here :)
The dumbo you posted a pic of is a salamander I believe...
Any questions about showing and show standards as Basement Bettas. I am not really up to date with them so...
Anyways any other questions?