Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2013, 02:08 AM   #11 
JayM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judson View Post
Thank you! I hope to have a name for him soon.

My "betta expert" LPS employee said to start with 2 females. Yet, he also recommended that I breed veiltails, which I am now finding out is not as desirable as HM/HMPK/CT/Dumbos. I don't think I will be trusting his opinion anymore!

I'm interested to know what your tank setup looks like for your sorority. Let me know if you upload images!
Actress knows what she's talking about. Our first spawn was from our local pet shop but they are crowntails (CT).
Our new arrivals turned up this morning, they are so pretty.
This is our 23 1/2 gallon sorority set up:

Added a bit more java fern which came with the fish. We put them in a seperate tank when they arrived. Emmy & Dory started on each other so we then transferred them to their new home where they have settled down as the greenery provides a lot of hidey places for them. I'm putting up pics of the newbies in the picture thread shortly.
JayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #12 
Judson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actress101 View Post
BasementBettas is also a member on here, if you are having troubles navigating his site try contact him on here :)
The dumbo you posted a pic of is a salamander I believe...
Any questions about showing and show standards as Basement Bettas. I am not really up to date with them so...
Anyways any other questions?
Unfortunately the Dumbo is having some complications. I will look up basement bettas. I think I'm going to opt for multiple male and female dumbos when breeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM View Post
Actress knows what she's talking about. Our first spawn was from our local pet shop but they are crowntails (CT).
Our new arrivals turned up this morning, they are so pretty.
This is our 23 1/2 gallon sorority set up:

Added a bit more java fern which came with the fish. We put them in a seperate tank when they arrived. Emmy & Dory started on each other so we then transferred them to their new home where they have settled down as the greenery provides a lot of hidey places for them. I'm putting up pics of the newbies in the picture thread shortly.
How many females do you keep in your sorority? I have heard of including a "free-roaming" male in the sorority. Does this sound like a good idea or are they trolling in a sick way?
Judson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #13 
Actress101
Banned

I actually wouldn't recommend multiple females but some people do it, I never have bu it is cheaper and easier just to go to a breeder and get the pair. Wih more than one female the male won't pick on one as much but it will take longer for them to go into submission and be bred, that is what I would think.
But fefinietly don't have several males and several females in one spawn tank!
Basement Bettas might not have dumbos... Not sure.
Actress101 is offline   Reply With Quote