Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #1 
Wynn

Betta behavior question

I set the tip of my glasses in the water and we swam up to it really fast.
So I decided to do it like a game, he swims after it sooo fast. But a few times he attempts to bite it. Or it seems like that.

Does that mean he thinks it is food or something? lol
Would it be bad to play with him like that occasionally?
Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:37 AM   #2 
Bootsie

It sounds like he's just defending his territory. As long as his biting doesn't injure him I say go for it. It's no different than the ping pong ball people use to exercise their bettas.
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #3 
Wynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsie View Post
It sounds like he's just defending his territory. As long as his biting doesn't injure him I say go for it. It's no different than the ping pong ball people use to exercise their bettas.
So you think he is thinking enemy?
I thought since only a small piece of it is in the water he may have been like "FOOOD"
He never flares to a mirror :'( but he occasionally flares at me or my finger lol.

How would I know if he hurt him self attemping to bite it? Actually one time he did catch it.

Side note since I ahve been doing this a few times a day I have notice fin growth(my guy is a tail bitter) think him excersing could be helping disctract him?
Old 08-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #4 
Bootsie

In all honesty a ping pong ball (or other floating object he cant break or swallow) would be best. He would take out his frustrations on the ball and not his fins. Plus when he goes after the ball it will pop up and not be a solid object that he slams into.
Mine use to go after his betta bed (weirdo) but he hit it so hard he hurt his mouth. He didnt seem interested in eating for a couple days and he didn't have much desire to keep up with his bubble nest.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #5 
Wynn

Quote:
In all honesty a ping pong ball (or other floating object he cant break or swallow) would be best. He would take out his frustrations on the ball and not his fins. Plus when he goes after the ball it will pop up and not be a solid object that he slams into.
Mine use to go after his betta bed (weirdo) but he hit it so hard he hurt his mouth. He didnt seem interested in eating for a couple days and he didn't have much desire to keep up with his bubble nest.
Betta Bed? What is that?

Ouch, that sounds painful. I have seen my guy rush his food so hard one time I thought he hurt himself. Like he snaped at it like like a snaping turtle.

More often though I will see him shake it, which makes me think he is attemptint to break it up.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #6 
Bootsie

A betta bed is a little plastic leaf attached to a suction cup you stick to the side of the tank for the betta to sleep on
Old 08-05-2013, 03:40 AM   #7 
Wynn

Quote:
A betta bed is a little plastic leaf attached to a suction cup you stick to the side of the tank for the betta to sleep on
I always wondered how they sleep.
How does a betta sleep? I have a few extra heater hollders that I placed randomly on the tank(he swims through them) does that man I could like turn it into a bed?
How would I do that? That sounds AWESOME!!!
Do betta actually like this?
Old 08-05-2013, 04:04 AM   #8 
Bootsie

i'm sure you could. just remember if you want to glue anything onto it (as in a leaf or piece of driftwood) that you use aquarium safe things super glue (cyanoacrylate) or aquarium safe silicone
Old 08-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Betta like to have a place near the surface where they can relax and get air without much trouble (lazy fish). Better than a plastic leaf, imo, is a floating plant. I float an nice piece of Anubias in my tanks. They use it for shade, hide and bed.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #10 
Wynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Betta like to have a place near the surface where they can relax and get air without much trouble (lazy fish). Better than a plastic leaf, imo, is a floating plant. I float an nice piece of Anubias in my tanks. They use it for shade, hide and bed.
If it is a floating plant how does a betta lay on it? wouldn't that mean the betta jumped out of the water?