Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2009, 12:11 AM   #1 
Red Betta

Heater really needed

First off I have a heater that keep the temp of the tank between 78 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit, so i don't want anyone thinking differently.

My question is, woudlnt a betta be able to survive well without a heater. Obviously where bettas come there must be a winter, and during these times the tempurature cant be any higher than it is in North Ameica during summer, so during summer time at least wouldn't it be necessary to not have a heater.

Just a thought i had, please comment.
Red Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:18 AM   #2 

You are mistaken. Temperatures where these fish are gathered are considerably warmer during winter than summers are for much of north america. Bettas in my view should be kept in temps of 78 to 80 degrees year round. If you live in tropical climates then perhaps a heater would be optional.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #3 
onekatietwo

I don't know much about it, but I think it's somewhat difficult to compare domestic Bettas to their wild cousins. They've been bred for specific things and may have lost their tolerance to other things.

Imagine, for example, releasing a top race or show horse in the plains of Wyoming to live with wild horses. Because these horses have been breed specifically for certain things, other aspects of them have been severely handicapped. Sure, they might survive, but probably not and it would be a tough journey.
They're both the same species, but bred differently and thus, suited to quite different environments.

And aside from that, yeah. I'm sure a Betta would be pretty ok with no heater in the summer. Its metabolism would probably slow a bit and it might not be as active, but it probably would mainly be ok.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:55 AM   #4 
mattcooper

Im worried!
I just bought a Betta fish.. First time fish owner and its the start of winter here in australia.. and I dont have a heater!!!!!! I have a small 5.5 Litre Acrylic tank.. All the heaters ive seen are so tall
mattcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Matt, you can angle the heater to fit your tank. Thats what I had to do with my 4 gallon because the heater was too tall. I turn my heaters off during summer. It gets too hot in my room to use them during summer.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #6 
mattcooper

I went to my local shop to get one.. I found a 50W.. it says something on the back that scared me from buying it.. To work out how many watts you need it says.. 1watt=1litre.. So my tank is 5.5 Litres! and the smallest heater they had was 50watts! Would that boil him?

btw i bought a cheap temp sticker thing.. and currently the temp in my tank is 23c or 74F
mattcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #7 
IonBaller07

If it stays at 74 then its fine but watch it because it might drop at night, also those stick on thermometers are sometimes inaccurate, at least on gecko tanks they are. It will probably be fine but if you need to they sell good digital thermometers in the lizard section for $7-9. Also they sell 25 watt heaters in some places you might need too look for one of them, the bigger one shouldnt be a problem though because they have a built in thermostat and will shut off if it gets too hot.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:43 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have a 25 watt in a 4 gallon. I thought it was 5 watts per gallon. I'm not sure about litres. 74 is ok but 78-80 is better.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:15 PM   #9 
Red Betta

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcooper View Post
I went to my local shop to get one.. I found a 50W.. it says something on the back that scared me from buying it.. To work out how many watts you need it says.. 1watt=1litre.. So my tank is 5.5 Litres! and the smallest heater they had was 50watts! Would that boil him?

btw i bought a cheap temp sticker thing.. and currently the temp in my tank is 23c or 74F
i dont think this is true, most heaters say the temp, it is not necessarily the watts
Red Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

The mini heaters aren't adjustable.