Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #1 
jmlee212

Question Is my Betta Blue just getting old?

Hi all. Just joined, and really need some help.
I have 2 Betta's. Blue, and Bow. I've had Blue for about 2 years, and he is just acting weird.
On Sunday I was changing his water, and cleaning his home, and noticed he was laying on his side, on the bottom of the tank, and swimming kinda cockeyed, and erratically. I thought he was dying! Came online, and looked up his symptoms.
First some background...
I got him as a gift, and the friend who gave him to me told me she had done all the research, and how to care for him. She's an animal nut like me, and I trusted her.
He's been in a large vase with a plant and I've been good about changing his water and feeding, but I've found I've been wrong in his care. He's such a wonderful little guy, and I want to make sure his quality of life is as good as it can be.
Ok, so I learned what I've been doing wrong. I've made lot's of changes for both my guys to make sure they have the right amount of room, filters, water testing stuff,heaters, have meds on hand, and all that jazz.
It turns out he had the Bladder problem, so I fasted him for 2 days, and gave him a bit of a pea, as was suggested somewhere. He's in his new tank, and doing much better now.
The reason I'm posting about his age is this, he is not as active, his color is changing, he spends more time hanging out in his plants.
How do you know if a Betta is getting old?
Are there any signs? If he needs specific care, I'll do what I can for him, but if he is just getting old, I'll just keep him happy.
I appreciate any answers that ya'll can give me!
Thanks ahead of time for helpin'!
jmlee212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #2 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Hi jmlee212, welcome to the forum. I've no experience with aging bettas so someone else with more expertise will need to chime in with advice. I just wanted to say hi and welcome aboard!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #3 
jmlee212

Smile Done more research

Turns out he's getting old. His color is fading, and his sight is going. when I feed him, he is missing the food the first time he goes for it.
I'm glad I know now how to properly care for my guys. Just sad, cause Blue is just such a fun guy. Hangs out with me whenever I'm at my desk.
I hope this information helps someone else. You'll be hearing from me around here I'm sure!
Thanks for the welcome!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

Yep he is getting old! Edger (my rescue) is the same way. He cant see very well either, but I am sure your are doing just fine with him.
If he cant get the food when it is at the surface try letting dangle at the surface so he can gab it better...Thats what I have to do
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #5 
tnicholas1970

thats sad hope he lives a whole nother year
tnicholas1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:53 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Bettas only live about 2 1/2 years, though I've heard of some living 10 years. Anyway, a vase can house a betta if the water quality is kept up. But I'm afraid you will have to be very careful not to stress him out.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had one that I had for 3 1/2 years. He was about a year old when I got him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #8 
jmlee212

Believe me, he'll be WELL taken care of. Nothing really stresses him. I've put him next to another male (when he could see) and he really didn't care much. Even when my cats peep in, he doesn't care.

Thanks for all the good wishes!
Old 05-24-2009, 06:48 PM   #9 
The Amazonian Trio

I remember my younger sister's fish Timmy when we were children. He was a blue beta fish like yours and I remember him out living the guppies and all sorts of other fish too, Only being out lived by the freakishly old Geode the guppy who might have been younger than him. Sounds like Your Blue beta is much loved and will keep living to enjoy living in his golden years.
The Amazonian Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #10 
jmlee212

I sure hope so. And...I must say I am now hooked!! I just purchased a new Crowntail. He's a beaute, and I'm preparing his new home now. This makes 3.
Blue is doing really well in his new home. showing that spunk and personality. Just hanging out with me and looking forward to dinner time now!! Love's to eat!