Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #1 
hopeful fish

Petsitting Friend's Betta with Fin Rot

Hi everyone!!!

I am petsitting a friend's betta fish, and I noticed some ragged edges on his fins, and I think it might be fin rot. He was in a little maybe 1/2 gallon tank, so I moved him into an empty 2.5 gallon with clean water and some live plants. I have not added a filter, but I did put a heater in there. I have a few questions:

1) I used to have the heater in a 10 gallon, and it has never allowed a tank to fluctuate in temperature before. The temp in the 2.5 gallon now is fluctuating between 74/74 and 80 degrees. I had it positioned under the filter in the 10 gallon, so I am thinking that the temp in the 2.5 gallon is fluctuating because there is no water movement around the heater. Should I add a (small) filter, just to move the water? I have an extra Tom Mini Internal filter with a spray bar that is fully submersible--Should I put it in?

2) Would aquarium salt help? I heard that 1 tsp per gallon was good for minor cases of fin rot, with daily water changes and redosing each time you do a WC. Does this sound good? Would epsom salt be better?

3) Is there anything else I can do?

Again, to reiterate, he is in a 2.5 gallon tank with 2 anubias, some java moss, and some brazilian pennywort and a heater. I have a filter handy, but it is not (yet) in the tank.

Thanks for your help!
hopeful fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #2 
Namialus

Since you're setting him up nicely, if it's minor fin rot I would say that all he needs is warm and clean water. Perhaps some StressCoat will help, but I wouldn't add the AQ salt. You COULD add a bit, less than your normal dosage.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #3 
hopeful fish

Should I add the filter, or would water movement make him stressed?
hopeful fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #4 
kvw1988

I'd leave out the filter, it'll help him heal up not having it, just do frequent water changes.
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium salt, disease, filter, fin rot, sick