Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #1 
TGIF

20 gallon - How many girls?

I want to upgrade to a 20 gallon... but I wanted to know how many girls I could put in there without overstocking?
Only the betta girls will be in there, no snails or anything. And live plants :)
TGIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #2 
Micho

You could put a lot of girls in a 20g to be honest, maybe even up to 14 or more.

Since you'll have live plants and I'm assuming the tank will be cycled you could have a lot of girls in that tank, maximum of maybe 20+? Not sure, I have never had a sorority but if you're just gonna do female Bettas you could have a lot of them.

But the higher the number the higher the risk, you could get a lot of girls that just play nice in general and you might have to return them/or place them in their own tanks.

:) Good luck!
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #3 
bettaHI

If you could put up to 8 females in a 10 gallon ..then maybe 16 plus 2 more (18 of course) should be fine. Well...thats if they all get along with each other. Goodluck ! :)
bettaHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #4 
djembekah

personally i think the more the merrier in sorority situations. i'd do minimum ten, maximum probably 20- if there are a TON of plants and hiding spots, proper filtration, and like Micho said, the tank is properly cycled and you don't mess it up.

do you already have a sorority?
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #5 
TGIF

Yes, I do already have a sorority. 6 girls in a 10 gallon, and I love it. So... I want to make it bigger. XD
Old 08-06-2013, 08:18 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yep, you can fit 20 girls in a 20 if you have no other snails/inverts/fish but ideally 16-18 is a good range to give a little room for moving for you and your girls ^_^ and of course lots of plants, live or real up to you, and hiding spaces for them ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #7 
TGIF

Hehe, that settles it. If I can get the exact dimensions to fit onto my desk... i'll go get a 20 gallon. I just love seeing the girls all together :D
Old 08-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Actually, the higher the number the lower the risk. This is because with more girls the aggression is spread out. However, the risk of losing more to disease rises.

The general rule with sororities is that with proper filtration, water changes, and setup you can have one girl per gallon, so you could fit 20 girls in. That being said, I wouldn't go with that many... Anything over five (six is better) will work.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #9 
djembekah

Yeah 15-18 would be a good number. and yes, i agree, more bettas usually makes for a happier group
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Like MattsBettas said, you can go up to 20 in a 20 gallon provided you have adequate cover and your filter is able to handle the bioload of those females.

Many people are conservative with how they stock their sororities, but the more females you have the more the aggression is dispersed rather than focussed on individual fish. It's the same theory I find many cichlid keepers work on.

However, in a sorority the importance of quarantine cannot be stressed enough. Even if all your females come from the same source I advise a minimum quarantine period of two weeks. Sororities (even the best of them) are a stressful environment and if you put a female that hasn't been quarantined into your sorority you are taking a huge risk. Many times, if you look at cases where sororities have fallen apart due to disease it is because of improper quarantine procedure.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote