Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2009, 07:34 AM   #1 
Luchi

Question Any Help???

I know there are tons of topics about this already but I guess everyone's situation is a little different and I didn't think it would hurt to ask since everyone here has such great knowledge. My betta is extremely active, I rarely see him not moving, he's happy, however, I am a little suspect that he may have finrot but I am not overly sure. Would it harm him if I treated it or would it be better to wait until I am positive? Also, I am rather new to taking EXCELLENT care of my fish so any suggestions on what would be the best medicine, water changing method (frequency and amount), and any other advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!!
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:49 AM   #2 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

I am of the opinion that unless medications are an absolute necessity I avoid them. You say you aren't positive about the fin rot. What symptoms does your fish exhibit that makes you suspect fin rot? Were it me (and it's not!) I'd stay on top of water parameters, doing water changes as necessary and continue to observe the fish closely.
What size tank, how long has it been set up and what are your water parameters? Do you have a test kit? Are you able to post your water parameters? I did 50% water changes every other day on my betta's tank until the tank was fully cycled. Once cycled I now do a weekly 30% water changes.
If you suspect fin rot I'd do 50% water changes every other day until your suspicions either come to fruition or are laid to rest. Hope that helps.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:40 AM   #3 
Luchi

Currently since I'm visiting home from school, he's been living in a one gallon tank. He doesnt seem to mind it at all and actually appears to be rather happy. I will test my water tonite, it just seems like his fins are become a little thin on the ends and also fraying a bit.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:37 PM   #4 
MADxMAC771

Thin and clear on the ends, or simply thin. Also being in just a one gallon tank (assuming there is no filtration) water changes of around 25% would not be a bad idea every other day. I used to have mine in a small bowl as well and I did a 25% water change any day I had a chance.

The fraying may be from whatever sort of plants or decorations you are using. Make sure there are no sharp or jaged edges. Rubbing plants against some nylons or (if you dont have those, as I dont) i rub them back and forth against some kleenex to see if it tears or snags. If it does, you may want to get a different plant.
MADxMAC771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:00 PM   #5 
Luchi

Ok, Thanks so much!!! That's a good idea that it may be his plants.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

If you are concernd that your Betta has fin rot....Dont panic! :] Just change the water everyday for the next week. This will provied a healthy habitat for your Betta and its growing process! Also, what are you feeding???
And the 1 gallon is fine for him as I have all my males in 1 gallon vaces...But you dont want to have any decor. in the bowl/vace. Try finding a plant and letting the roots hang inside the vace/bowl and let the plant grow out from inside the vace/bowl.
This has worked for me many many years...
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #7 
Luchi

I'm feeding him some beta pellets. I forget the brand, it probably isn't the best but he seems to LOVE them, he's extremely greedy.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:29 PM   #8 
crowntail lover

HAve you tryed bloodworms...Very cheap! Great treats! :]
Old 05-21-2009, 01:40 PM   #9 
Luchi

I'll get some and try that today, he'll probably love it.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #10 
crowntail lover

I am sure he willl! :]