Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #1 
JamieL

Panda corys

I was having way too much trouble with the boys in my divided 10 gallon, so I recently moved one to his own 5.5 and on an impulse buy at the fish store I picked up 4 panda cories. They were just too cute for me to pass up. I want to eventually switch over to sand for the little guys, as I have gravel now and I'm reading that its not ideal, although I asked at the fish store and they assured me gravel would be fine (it's a reputable store, but mehhh, I'll probably switch anyway to be safe).

Everyone is much calmer without two male bettas in the tank, and Captain Hook seems to be enjoying the company. When he first saw them he nipped at them a couple times, but now he's leaving them alone...every so often he'll chase one, then go about his business.

Anyway, who else has these, and can tell me more about their care? I've been googling around and I found all kinds of conflicting information. What do you feed them? How often do you feed them? What else should I know? Is 4 a good number, or can I stock more than that in the 10 gal with one betta?

Thanks!
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #2 
Micho

Six is bare minimum for cories in general, and yes sand is the only substrate you can use for them, or their little barbels will get hurt.

Sinking pellets are their staple food, or you could make sure that some pellets sink to the bottom, up to you.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

I have 4 cories currently, needless to say, but they're quite happy as ever. (: IMO the minimum is 4 cories per shoal. If your gravel is finely grained, your cories will be fine.

I feed mine sinking shrimp pellets, I give 1 pellet to one cory. I always feed them at night, as that is when they're most active.

There isn't much to their care. I just hope your tank is cycled. 4 cories are okay for a 10G IMO. Also, they're much better in colder tropical waters like in 76F. Mine do fine in 78F, however.

Pandas like to be in softer waters, just to add.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #4 
JamieL

Thanks

I read that about the temp, I set mine to 77/78. I'm not sure these guys are fully grown, they're really teeny, but I'm not sure how big an adult is. I'm going to have to go tomorrow and get something else to feed them. I read on a few sites that they also like frozen brine shrimp, so i had the bright idea to feed that to everyone...I always feed my bettas over the leaf hammock, that way if any bits fall they land on the leaf and the bettas can get it all. The brine shrimp are so messy so I put some over the leaf and let some fall..all was well and good, captain ate on his leaf and the cories were snuffling around below, until that piggy betta zipped down and joined in eating the shrimp off the bottom. I just ended up with a fat betta. I've also heard algae wafers mentioned, but maybe I just need to feed them after the lights been out for a while and the betta is less active.

These guys are super cute, I love them. I couldn't resist in the store. We're calling them all Mr Whiskers since we can't tell them apart.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:33 AM   #5 
Wutwut

Full adult panda cory are about 2inches to 2 1/2 inch only. I have both juveniles and adult in my tank and i can tell you that they eat both algae wafers, bloodworms, brine shrimp, Omega One Cory pellets, Hikari Sinking Wafer.
Wutwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #6 
JamieL

These guys are about an inch, they're teeny. Last night I defrosted daphnia and shot it right on the bottom with a turkey baster, they munched on the bottom and the betta swam around eating the floating bits of it. Win win I guess. I just hope they're getting enough, I'm going to get wafers and see if the betta leaves those alone so I know he's not devouring all their food.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #7 
Elsewhere

I don't have Panda Cories, but I have Albino's (completely different, I know) and they get along great in my sorority! At first the girls were nippy, but now everything has calmed down, so I'm sure that your little Pandas will be just fine :) I have a shoal of five, and I believe that four is also good for a shoal, so I think you're set :) Mine eat sinking algae wafers and occasionally eat cucumber, but not too much, since the Otos usually kick them out before they have a chance to nibble it :P
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:25 AM   #8 
djembekah

I would add a few more personally, but four would definitely be the bare minimum. I have bronze cories, which get a little bigger, but they really enjoy their shoal of 8. good luck! I saw pandas at my pet store today, i definitely wanted them.
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #9 
JamieL

I'd like to add a couple more, but I don't want to overstock my tank. I wonder how many I can reasonably fit. I just switched over to sand and they're having a great time now, there's all kinds of cute little whisker marks in the sand this morning.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #10 
djembekah

Two or thre more would probably max you out :)
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote