Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol thank you, that's Rembrandt ^_^ he's my first Betta that I didn't kill in 2 weeks >< I've now had him 9 months! He's a Mustard Gas, his body is actually blue but in some ways he just looks black that's normal though.

But yeah, as long as you do your regular water changes he'll be okay. If you feel that he needs extra changes then go for it, it won't hurt anything as long as you always condition the water and keep it around the same temp he'll be great!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #12 
Bettalove22

I do the 30 to 50% every two weeks cause its a 10 plus octagon tank like i said earlier. and always use conditioner when i do and when i add water to it.

Nereus is mine and he is my first betta since i was a child and my first i have truly owned myself and ive had him a couple months now, pushing two i think.

I hope to have him close to the 6 year high end average, he was smaller than any other the others at the fish store so i hoped that him being smaller meant he was younger and could still grow giving me a potential buddy to have for a long while lol.

But yours is incredible, i love the variety in styles, and colors this fish come in. One of the most awesome stunning fish out there. Id love to get a green one, mainly cause my fav color is green, but yeah just so many id want from there looks
Bettalove22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh...every two weeks? It should be done at least once a week and if it's not cycled then you should be doing at least twice a week changes 25-50%. That will help him for sure. And just to check, do you have a gravel vacuum and do you siphon the gravel? I know sometimes people don't know to siphon the gravel and stuff, just the water so just want to help out if you didn't know ^_^

Sorry, I didn't read much of your first post >.< I apologize for that.

Yeah, I've got 23 right now as it is! my sorority carries most of them though at 15 while I've got 8 males, mostly blues and variations of so like Rembrandt here. But you can visit my albums to see who I have if you want. Males and females are split into their own albums.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #14 
Bettalove22

I have a gravel pump and use it to clean my rocks, and good to know about the changes. have read a lot of stuff from other site and info things about if you have a bigger tank with only the 1 fish with filter and heater you can do it every 2 weeks, 1 week with none then on the next then one off and then the next. but i can do them every week easy, the gravel pump makes it easy to get water out of the tank lol. but i also have been doing it so i dont blow through all my conditioner, again i dont have a ton of extra cash at the moment to keep buying a bunch of conditioner lol. but i have a new bottle and are going to get the dang master test kit next and then i should be all set to keep perfect tabs on my water and how it is for him
Old 08-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

How much conditioner do you use and what brand is it?

That's good you can do it every week though. See it's not just the fish poop that you're taking out but there are other non-dissolved and dissolved organic compounds in there that you take out. Also fish get their minerals from the water the same as we do so eventually all those minerals get used up and so it has to be replenished and that's where water changes come in helpful.

Also you said his fins were curling? That could be from two things; ammonia is too high, or you have hard water. Harder water tends to cause fin curling and it is not reversible but it's not dangerous for their health either, it just might not look as nice lol The flip side is it's from ammonia so if your tank isn't cycled then this could be the cause of it. Thankfully most of it is reversible, depending on the severity they'll usually uncurl a little bit at least when they start to get good clean water. They may not fully uncurl but it might get a little better down the road is all.

Also, every tank needs a cleaning once a week unless it's an NPT (natural planted tank) in which case the plants do the filtering and then you just replenish the water when it evaporates and do about a once a month cleaning for it. But regardless, regular tanks no matter the size under 100 gallons or so should be done each week. However this also depends on what's in the tank too. If you've got a 150 gallon tank with fish that poop crazy amounts, yeah that should be cleaned out once a week lol

Betta's, for their size do not have a huge bio-load but they also excrete a type of urine, not the same as we do but they do excrete it along with their poop and just constantly through their gills. So that's why it's also important to do changes every other week will be fine if the tank is cycled and has plants and stuff but otherwise, once a week at least should be your goal. My 10 gallon has 3 Betta's, all divided but that sometimes I even do twice a week around 80% because I can and because they poop a lot!

Oh that's another question I have, how much do you feed him and what is it and how often?

(sorry for the longer post )
Old 08-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #16 
Bettalove22

They arent curling ive just noticed some arent dead straight and he came with a few that were bent already lol and so they are probly the same ones.

The conditioner is Kordon NovAqua Plus, and it depends on how much i change or add for how much i use, just use the amount it says to use per gallon you add

I think it may be some of my levels are off, but i cant check right now and i hate it.

Feed is mostly now cause he sometimes does and doesnt eat the frozen brineshrimp i give him to mix his diet up. but he mainly has been eating pellets. Feed him 2 to 3 pellets when i turn his light on in the morning and 1 or 2 at night depending, usually give him 4 pellets a day total. and i wanted to get the new life spectrum pellets but no store had them so i had to get the Omega One pellets
Old 08-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh great! Food looks great ^_^ Yeah I use NLS mostly, Omega for substitution and then Frozen BW's, I want to get Frozen Brine Shrimp though. That's good though

Have you looked into using Prime? It's only 1-2 drops per gallon so it literally lasts forever. Same goes for API Tap Water conditioner. I'm still using the same one I bought 11 months ago! Almost a year now and I'm just starting to get low! lol so that might be something worth investing in ^_^
Old 08-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #18 
Bettalove22

Daamn that is good, ima write that down haha.

Yeah when i looked up these fish i read they can be picky eaters and like to have variety so i got frozen brineshrimp which he likes just i think he is used to the pellets from the store so he sometimes just follows it as it sinks instead of eating it like he does with the pellets, plus i have floating pellets. and i have freeze dried bloodworms but i dont use them much cause i heard you make them a main part of the diet can sometimes give them constipation. i know it can come from over feeding but i also read that freeze dried bloodworms can cause it too.

But with the gravel pump how do you use yours? i just want to ask to be sure im doing it alright.

Tags
care, confused, disease, fin, info