Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #1 
tromboneplaya

water temperature problems...

I have a few questions regarding the water temperature in my betta tank. I have a 5 gallon tank in my bedroom and I keep my door closed to keep my cats out. Because I keep my door closed the bedroom gets really hot sometimes. I got a new thermometer because I thought the water felt really hot, but my old thermometer said it was only 78....just didn't seem right. Anyway, the new thermometer said that the water was like 84 degrees! So, I put up a baby gate and I'm trying to get my cats "trained" to not jump the gate so the door can be opened to cool things down. I now have the tank down to 81 degrees and it fluctuates like .5 to 1 degree at night...so it goes down to like 80 or 80.5 (I got a really nice digital thermometer that goes to the tenth of a degree). Is this ok for my betta? Or should I get a fan to keep in my room to cool it down more?

Thanks for any help or advice!
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #2 
Namialus

Bettas need water that is 78-80.
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Bettas don't exactly "need" a temperature of 78F-80F, they just prefer that more. (:

It's okay if it fluctuates only 1F, they're much more hardy than some other fish. Digital thermometer? I suggest a normal glass one.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #4 
tromboneplaya

I have both in there....I got a new glass thermometer along with the digital one...they read the same.

I was just trying to figure out if I need to get a fan or something else to cool it down more. I currently have the heater off and I still can't get it lower than 81 during the day. Our house is older and our room is on the corner so it doesn't always cool the best....like I have our air conditioner set to 74 and our room still gets hot. I don't want to move tank either because we do have a kitten that likes to go fishing so it's not really safe.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

81F is an okay temperature. I mean, it's not really high as 88F.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #6 
sainthogan

Do you have a lid on your tank? If so, there's no reason why your cats can't be in the bedroom. You should have a lid anyway, because Betta are notorious jumpers and can and will jump out (I know from experience, and I have a lid, but it had holes big enough to jump through).
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #7 
Ilikebutterflies

Is there any way to secure the top on that tank? You can run a piece of wide tape over the top in the back just to secure it. You can get tape the same color at the tank hood and it won't be noticeable. Don't stick it to the glass-cut off anything that reaches past the plastic frame You may want to get a water squirt bottle that has a good "stream" setting and help kitty understand the tanks are off limits.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #8 
tromboneplaya

I do have a lid on it, but the kitten has figured out how to open the lid that I use to feed him and I really don't want to have to tape and untape it every time I feed him. That and I really prefer not to have animals in the bedrooms with the hair and everything else. I moved the tower fan that I had in the living room into the bedroom with him so I'll see if that helps.