Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2009, 07:15 AM   #1 
bettanewbie

Exclamation New Betta won't eat

I've never had a fish before and want to be sure I'm doing what I should to keep my new Betta happy and healthy. It's only 2 days old, came from Petco, and doesn't look as energetic as when it was in it's pint size container. I have him in a round fish bowl (about 2 1/2 - 3 quarts) with green gravel on the bottom. By the way, are air bubbles on the gravel a sign of anything bad?

I was told to feed him the dried bloodworms every other day and to change the water with tap water (we have a water softener) when it looks like it needs it, about once a week.

So far it hasn't eaten anything that I can tell. Do I change about 50% of the water? We had a cold night and my house temp is currently only 66 degrees. Will my Betta be okay? Should I get a heater? Is it okay to keep a light on overhead for it? Do they prefer smaller spaces? Should I get a plastic plant for it?

So many questions! You're help is greatly appreciated!
bettanewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #2 
ifish

bettas can go a month without food domnt worry if hes hungry he will eat
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. 2 1/2 to 3 quarts is too small for a betta. If you can, try to get him something bigger. This will allow you to put in a heater. Bettas need to be at 76-82 degrees and are lethargic when they are cold. I don't know about the air bubbles on the gravel.In a bowl less than a gallon, change the water 2-3 times a week.Do a full change. Make sure to dechlorinate it first. You can feed him a pellet food as his staple diet and feed bloodworms as a treat once or twice a week. You can put a lamp near his bowl for now to help keep him warm. I wouldn't put a plant in there because of lack of space. I hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #4 
IonBaller07

Yah basically what dramaqueen said, but to add, if you do setup a lamp next to his bowl turn it off at night so he can get some sleep, and the air bubbles are fine I think its from the tap water, mine does it too when I change out alot of the water my entire ten gallon will be covered in little bubbles.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #5 
bettanewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Hello and welcome to FishForum. 2 1/2 to 3 quarts is too small for a betta. If you can, try to get him something bigger. This will allow you to put in a heater. Bettas need to be at 76-82 degrees and are lethargic when they are cold. I don't know about the air bubbles on the gravel.In a bowl less than a gallon, change the water 2-3 times a week.Do a full change. Make sure to dechlorinate it first. You can feed him a pellet food as his staple diet and feed bloodworms as a treat once or twice a week. You can put a lamp near his bowl for now to help keep him warm. I wouldn't put a plant in there because of lack of space. I hope this helps.
To be clear, a full change means 100% of the water? I thought they need some of the old water to prevent some sort of shock? Also, how much pellet food is the right amount and frequency?

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

No, a 100% change won't shock them at all. I change all mine 100% except my 4 gallon. If your tank is cycled then you would not change the water 100%. You can feed 2-3 pellets 2 times a day.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #7 
beatlesusan

So a 1/2 gallon tank is too small for a betta? Why do they need the room?
beatlesusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #8 
Campbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlesusan View Post
So a 1/2 gallon tank is too small for a betta? Why do they need the room?
They can live in a half gallon. But it takes frequent water changes because ammonia builds up and can quickly poison a fishy. In a half gallon tank I would be doing 50% water changes 3 times a week. It can also cause them to be over weight because they can't really swim around. Your betta will have a longer and happier life in a larger tank, plus it says lots of cleaning time.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Bowls that small need 100% water changes two or three times a week. Bettas need room to swim around. They are quite active when the water conditions are right.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #10 
bettanewbie

I bought new food today because the bloodworms were still seemingly untouched. I changed the water and put in 3 pellets a few hours ago and my betta hasn't touched them yet. I'm becoming paranoid I think because it seems to be "gasping" for air. Is this normal?