Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #1 
blufish425

Do any of your fish prefer a smaller tank?

My girl who I thought may be sick still just floats near the top all the time. She is not showing any signs of illness, she is upright, alert, and swims around like a little bullet when she thinks she is going to be fed, but otherwise is completely still at the top 100% of the time. Her temperature is correct, her water parameters are good, I already went through all that in the emergency thread. She is in a 1 gal bowl which of course is deep and not wide. Should I move her to something smaller and shallower? Have you noticed any of your fish prefer a smaller space? Would she be happier with a friend? Like a neon tetra or something?
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #2 
Lamb

You could do a wider tank. Also do you have any plants or anything for her to perch on?
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #3 
blufish425

Yes, she has plants that she is completely uninterested in. She was more active in the cup I brought her home in, which is why I'm thinking maybe shallower?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #4 
blufish425

Or maybe I should set up a small community tank? She got very active, but not aggressive when I showed her a mirror
Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #5 
Ilikebutterflies

Does she have anything to do in there? I find that if they have plants or a house or a ping pong ball or a mirror ie:something to do, they will do it. I provide IAL for all my male fish just so they can blow bubbles and have something to guard. I have lots of plants in the tanks and they enjoy swimming through them. I have a few guppies in with one of my giants to keep him entertained. They are far too quick for him to catch but he will chase them a few times a day. I'm considering making breeding mops and putting in with my females. A breeding mop is just a mass of yarn strands tied together. It is meant to be like a plant. It looks like a mop head. Anyway, my girls like playing in breeding mops so I bought some more yarn and will make some for the girls in the small containers.
I wouldn't put and tank mates in a 1 gallon bowl.

I know giants are prone to bloat and will just sit still all day-sometimes they will act the way they do when they are bloated but you can't see any bloating. I'll dose with epsom salt for 3-4 days and they go back to playing again. I haven't had that with the small fish yet but worth a shot if yours just sits still all day.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #6 
blufish425

She has plants yes, a taller one and then some short grass like stuff ( all plastic but I made sure they were really soft) She wont move to even see what the plants are. Every time I walk up to her I think she's dead. Its driving me crazy. I could try the Epsom salt though.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #7 
NeptunesMom

Have you considered moving her to a bigger space? A 1 g bowl is a small space.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #8 
blufish425

I don't have a bigger space for her now, and since she doesn't even move about her 1 g I hadn't really thought about it. She is very small, and many people keep happy bettas in a 1g so I didn't think the size would be an issue...
Old 08-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #9 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufish425 View Post
I don't have a bigger space for her now, and since she doesn't even move about her 1 g I hadn't really thought about it. She is very small, and many people keep happy bettas in a 1g so I didn't think the size would be an issue...
She actually could be bored or depressed (thus the recommendation for a bigger space), which could be the reason she is not moving around. People do keep Betta in 1 g. However, it is too small for you to get her a tank mate.

Is she in a high traffic area? If it is, maybe move her to a low traffic area. If she is not, move her to a high traffic area. Betta are sensitive to what is going on around them. She could either love lots of people, or hate lots of people.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #10 
bettabumx

My Samson acted the same way when I first got him. He was in a small 1 gallon at first, and had very little interest in his plants. But when I moved him to his 5 gallon, he got extremely excited and began to move around and explore much more! He now utilizes all of his tank space and most of his decor. I think bettas like mine get bored very easily, and the more space and things they have to look at, the better! :)
bettabumx is offline   Reply With Quote