Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #1 
Riverotter

Please wear seatbelts.

Please.
Last night I found out that a young friend of mine, who was my petsitter, and DD's best friend's older sister, died of the injuries she got in a car crash. She was 17, and would still be with us it she had been wearing a seatbelt.

So please. I know, they're inconvenient and you don't like them and they rub on your neck and it's just 5 minutes away and you heard about someone who got really bad bruises from the seatbelt after being in a car accident and, and, and.

But please. Every time. Even if it's just down the block. Bruises, wrinkled shirts and a rub on your neck are nothing compared with a funeral. This young woman's mother, who is also my friend, will never be the same after burying her wonderful daughter.
On Thursday, I will be going to yet another funeral (My uncle went the same way) of someone who would still be here if only they had done something as quick and simple as putting on a seatbelt.

It Does Not Matter how good a driver you are. Neither one of those people were responsible for the crash. My young friend wasn't driving (right now I don't know any more about the accident then that, and that there is another girl in critical condition who is not expected to live) and my uncle was hit by another car.
You can do everything right and still be in a crash. So please, please just put it on.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I can't believe people still don't wear a seatbelt. It is such an automatic thing for me to do in the car no matter where we are going or how long/short the trip.

I find those people usually trot out an anecdote about how they know someone who died from seatbelts. I just would like to see the statistics for those seatbelts have saved as even minor scraps can cause serious injury if you are not properly restrained.

So sorry to hear about your friend. It seems horrible that one simple mistake can cost the life of someone so young.

My youngest brother drove drunk into a tree and absolutely smashed the front of his car right up. I think if he and his passenger hadn't had seatbelts on they would be dead or crippled rather than just having walked away with rather minor injuries.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #3 
shellieca

Its an unfortunate reminder to us all to not only wear our seatbelts but to appreciate those we love & cherish because you never know when it'll be the last time you see them, talk to them or hug them. My heart goes out these young people's family & friends.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #4 
Lamb

I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to your family, and to their family and friends. Her poor mother. I could only imagine... :'(
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #5 
Freyja
Banned

And for children, put them in the correct car or booster seat.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:16 PM   #6 
shannonpwns

I'm so sorry to hear about that....

A few years ago, on Thanksgiving night, 3 of my cousins died in a car crash due to not wearing seatbelts and driving too fast around a turn. It affects my family every single year, and will forever.

Before you drive without a seatbelt, think about who you may leave behind forever.

And two years ago my other cousin was in a really bad car accident. He wasn't driving, but he WAS wearing his seatbelt. It was a foggy night and a car was abandoned on the freeway, and they saw it too late and slammed into the car. The seatbelt saved his life. Unfortunately, when they exited their car because it was filling with smoke and starting on fire, my cousin was hit by another car, and then flung into the other side of the freeway where he was ran over....HE SURVIVED THOUGH. Crushed pelvic bone and broken legs and arms, he was in ICU for 6 months, but by some miracle, he survived and is walking now. :)
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #7 
Riverotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I find those people usually trot out an anecdote about how they know someone who died from seatbelts. I just would like to see the statistics for those seatbelts have saved as even minor scraps can cause serious injury if you are not properly restrained.

I have a story about that;
My grandparents were in a car accident, a several car pile up. Both were wearing seatbelts. My grandfather, who was driving, got a sprained wrist and mild bruises.
My grandmother had a bloody nose and black eyes from banging around inside the car. But her worst injuries were from the seatbelt, which instead of being across her lap had been across her belly. She had both internal as well as external bruising.

In the emergency room, as my grandmother was being treated, Grandpa looked at her belly, swollen, discoloured and grotesque, and started to cry and said he wished that she hadn't been wearing it, since it hurt her so badly.

The doctor whipped around to him and told him to NEVER so much as THINK that ever again. He said that her injuries were from the seatbelt doing it's job, and it was obvious to any doctor, nurse or EMT that there had been enough enough force to have thrown her through the windshield if she hadn't been wearing it, where if she hadn't been killed instantly on impact with the road (which the doctor made clear that he was sure she would have been) she'd have been mangled into a bloody pulp by the other cars.

In other words, instead of bruised, she'd be dead, and need a closed casket funeral.
Because of a seatbelt, she only was sore for a few weeks, and it took a bit over a month for the discolouration to go away. That was 20 years ago, and she has welcomed not only a few more grandchildren, but over a dozen great-grandchildren into the world, and been part of their lives.
There's no contest there
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Yep, the passenger in my brother's accident had some injuries due to the seatbelt, but I think that is better than bouncing around the car or getting smashed through the windscreen.

I still remember when the police knocked on our door to tell my mum that there had been an accident and that my brother had head injuries. It was like watching a glass drop to the ground and shatter.

The poor family of your friend. I can't even begin to imagine what they must be going through right now. It's going to be the 'what ifs' and 'if only' that will hurt for a while.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry for your losses and thank you for the reminder to wear seatbelts. It's a good habit to get into.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:27 AM   #10 
Namialus

I'm so sorry for all your losses. I can only imagine the pain. I always wear the seatbelts, and I make sure everyone else around me does too, but you can't control everything. I'm so sorry. :(
Namialus is offline   Reply With Quote