Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-25-2009, 01:33 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

It really depends on their personalities. Some can tolerate tankmates and some can't. A lot of people have had success with cories. Good suggestion.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #12 
fireburnin2013

Ghost shrimp ? i heard theyre good.
fireburnin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #13 
jonnylaw37

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I have until July to decide though :D
jonnylaw37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #14 
onekatietwo

I really liked my ghost shrimp. I had three in a five gallon. They're good a cleaning up after messy feeders and they're super cool to watch. The females will turn a greenish color in one area with eggs, adn that also looks really cool. The males can have various orangish colors in some areas, but they're always mostly clear. However, after at least a month or two, at least one of my ghost shrimp figured out how to eat my Betta's fins. It would attach itself and grab on and snack while the betta raced around trying to get it off.

I understand this is quite uncommon, so if you like the idea of shrimp, they might still be worth a try. Just watch your betta's fins and if they're looking ragged, you'll probably want to get rid of the shrimp (you might not see them doing the eating as they only do it now again again, but it still damages the fins)

I also just got some Otos today for my 5 gallon. They've only been in there for an hour or two, so i can't give any suggestions on them. :)

I wouldn't reccomend breeding for quite a while because I think it takes a bit of experience and a ton of research and quite a bit of resources. The fry need to be seperated not too long after hatching and that can take a lot of tanks. :p Plus, it could be hard to home that many.

I'd probably save breeding for a distant future endevour if I were you.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:07 AM   #15 
jonnylaw37

Quote:
Originally Posted by onekatietwo View Post
I'd probably save breeding for a distant future endevour if I were you.
Oh, I definately won't be breeding them any time soon, but it may be something I would want to try later. I just don't have time right now. Thanks for the advice!
jonnylaw37 is offline   Reply With Quote