Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #1 
DrProfMcprofessorson

New guy saying "hello"

Hey all, I'm preparing to move to college and the only pets allowed are fish. Being mildly autistic, it's refreshing to interact with things which can't talk to me, so I've bought a Fluval Spec III (2.6 Gallons), set it up, and am going to be getting a new betta. I don't trust my college's mailroom to notify me when the package arrives, so I'm having him shipped here and then driving him up to Oregon on the 16th.

I figured setting up the tank and getting it cycled before he arrived was a good idea, so I've got that going with some API Quick Start and real plants. By the time he arrives, it should be good for him. And, when it's time to go, I'll bag him for the journey and put him in a cooler with a bottle of chilled water to keep him from overheating while driving through the central valley.

Man, I am psyched to meet my new friend when he comes in the mail!

Anybody have any tips to reduce the stress he undergoes during the move?

Attached are pictures of the tank. Cloudiness is, as I understand it, a side-effect of the cycling.
Attached Images

DrProfMcprofessorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:38 AM   #2 
TheTrojanBetta

Hello! Welcome to the forum. :)
I actually got my two bettas for the same reason as you- I'm moving into a dorm in a few weeks, where any animals but fish are not allowed. I don't know much about how to reduce the stress of travel, I was actually going to ask that myself! Sorry I can't be of much help there.
It's good you set up your tank beforehand. I didn't, Penelope and Odysseus were both kind of impulsively brought home- but I think having everything set up and knowing it all works beforehand probably relieves a lot of stress, for both you and your betta.
The tank looks great! I like the plants, I think your little friend will too. In the plants and in their caves is where mine spend a lot of their time! Whatever substrate you used looks exactly like what I have in Penelope's tank. :)
You should definitely post pictures when your new friend gets here! Do you know when he's supposed to arrive?
You seem to be off to a great start! Much more organized than I was (though it's kind of hard not to be more organized than I am) about a month ago when I got Odysseus.
The only other thing I can say is the people here are great, and have already helped me out so much! This forum is definitely a gold mine of information and support.
I look forward to hearing more about your little guy when he gets here!
TheTrojanBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #3 
DrProfMcprofessorson

Well, I have a bid in for a betta at Aquabid (because I have no self control) which ends in a day. I won't post a link since I'm paranoid. Haha. After that, I think it'll take either one or two days, depending on whether it's send express or priority. It's shipping from the US.

Failing that, I'll end up going to Petco. My local fish store closed down last month, and it's very sad.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Welcome to the forum! Your tank looks great and it sounds like you are off to a good start.

How long is the drive? I have experience with fish in cars from anywhere from 2 hours to 2 days, but it is really quite simple... You want the fish in a sturdy container in a cooler stuffed with towels... This way he will be kept from bouncing around and his temperature will be stable. The darkness also helps reduce stress. Unless your car gets really, really hot I would leave out the cool water.

Your plants will grow in, but I would reccomend either more plants or a nice hiding spot. It's not entirely nescessary but it looks good and gives him somewhere to hide. Otherwise, the setup looks awesome (you have a heater, right?).

Excited to see some pictures of your soon to be fish!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:55 AM   #5 
DrProfMcprofessorson

The drive is nine hours, but I'm stopping for the night after six and will set him in a large-ish tupperware container with a hole in the lid and feed him.

I'll probably get either a knot of wood which isn't too pointy or some small plants to provide cover. And I do have a heater, but it's a Tetra HT10, and is only keeping it at 76 degrees non-adjustable, so I'll be buying another.

EDIT: It's "78 degrees plus or minus 2", and seems to prefer the minus end

Should I fast him the day before the trip or do anything to the water?

Last edited by DrProfMcprofessorson; 08-07-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #6 
DrProfMcprofessorson

I added a new java fern, got a test kit, and changed out the heater today.

pH is 7.8, Ammonia is 0.75 ppm, Nitrite is 0.25 ppm, and Nitrate is about 5.0 ppm. The cycle is definitely getting underway. Does this seem normal?
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2013, 08:39 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Looks good.

The cycle is starting up... It really doesn't matter right now since there is not stock in the tank but you will have to be careful with the ammonia when you get your fish. Let it run and do it's thing and it will finish cycling.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #8 
DrProfMcprofessorson

I got a bottle of Prime so that, when the fish arrives, I can dose with that between water changes until the cycle stabilizes.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #9 
DrProfMcprofessorson

Update, I won the fish!

Here's the picture the seller provided.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2013, 11:12 PM   #10 
TheTrojanBetta

Wow, he's gorgeous! What beautiful colors. Any ideas for names yet?
TheTrojanBetta is offline   Reply With Quote