Betta Fish Forum banner

Help with new Betta's and fin rot

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  crowntail lover 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,
I'm new to the site. My son has 3 Bettas. All seem to have beginnings of fin rot. I can only imagine, since the water they come in is so little and dirty. And the guy at the store said, for our 1/2 gal vases, "change the water 1/week". UGH! :evil:

What shall we do? We started the Maracyn-Two but now I hear it doesn't do much. :cry: Also, how much sea salt shall I add to that small of a vase? I haven't done anything with the Ph etc. as I didn't know to. Temp is fine. They are in a room with light on the low side. I had them in a brightly filtered bathroom but read not to put them there....I'm so confused! We really love these little guys and want to do the best for them. Could someone starts us from the beginning and get us going? I'm going to do a water change and will be back shortly.

Thank you all!!!!!

#3 ·
Hello and welcome to FishForum. Bettas shouldn't be in anything less than a gallon IMO but if you can't get them bigger containers, I would advise changing the water twice a week, full water changes. Make sure its dechlorinated first. Bettas are tropical fish and should be kept at at least 74 to 82 degrees. If you keep the water very clean, it should help the finrot.

#4 ·
the aquarium salt will help them heal and avoid further infection. instead of trying to add the salt directly to the vase, use 1/2 tsp and dissolve it in 1 gallon of water. add your stress coat/dechlorinator to that same gallon and then use the gallon to change the water in the vases. That way, you're dosing per gallon, which is much easier than trying to break up doses into the small jars. If they are half gallon vases, then I'd use 1/4 tsp each of aquarium salt. Make sure it's dissolved before you put it into the water so none of it lands directly on the bettas. the best thing to do for fin rot is VERY clean water, changed religiously, and like dramaqueen said, a bigger tank. My guys are quite happy in their 3 gallons but if i had the space they' each have 10 gallons or more. Without space to swim, they're just not as happy. Also, you can't heat those small jars and you do need to absolutely keep them at near 80 degrees, especially if you want the fin rot to heal and not return. Trust me, i had one fish with a life time supply of fin rot that kept coming and going. yo uwant to get rid of it early and make sure it doesn't come back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.