Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #1 
Lamb

Next Spawn Options (and suggestions for my male)

So I was thinking of breeding my PK male to my Opaque Female HM. She's pretty feisty so I'm hoping it'll balance him out. She has proven too feisty for either of the males I've tried her on. Opinions on the pairing? I would like to get some HMPKs with Cornelius' coloring. I figure since the opaque is no red and recessive (don't know if it's recessive to pastel?) that this pairing would be nice.

Cornelius
Name:  Cornelius.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  43.0 KB

Taurina
Name:  IMG_5257.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  37.5 KB

I am also contemplating a female for my (really my husband's but let's be honest here... it's more a title than who really owns him. Lol.) new male that will be coming. I have my husband's "permission" to breed him, but I've been having a hard time finding the right female. He's really nice looking but obviously has flaws. I would like to produce more platinum offspring, preferably black or something other than red or blue. I'm really into purple, but I'm not sure that would be possible with a black line.

Here is Cerious (or Spot as my husband calls him, you can see there are no spots... 0.0 Silly husband.)
Name:  Cerious.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  66.3 KB
Lamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The pictures suggests that the males are dragon scales. The PK has a unique combination, not really sure if they would breed true. Pairing him to any color would give you a number of variations (he is a combination of red and blue dragon). Since the opaque is a regular, you should have partial dragons (incomplete drgn scaling)

The HM looks like a black drgn. Another black drgn will give you his colors - white body with black fins . . . perhaps the fry's fins will be blacker than his.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #3 
Lamb

Thank you Indjo! I have some HM girls arriving today. Here are a few:
Name:  $(KGrHqR,!nYFHh0ojmyiBR9(B9Bjt!~~60_57.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  $T2eC16d,!ygE9s7HKKzBBR9WwIJS2Q~~60_57.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  33.3 KB

Name:  $(KGrHqN,!lEFHWCwKr6PBR9Wz(dJ)g~~60_57.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  $T2eC16Z,!wsE9suwyRubBR9WkuDR-!~~60_57.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  32.8 KB

Do you think any would pair well with my Cornelius? I was thinking that the second (Marilyn) would be a nice pair, though I don't want too much red.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #4 
bambijarvis

Like was already said,you'll get some veriation and partial dragon scales from the first pair, but it's defiantly a spawn I would like to see colors wise. xD

All those other females look to have red. I'd personally go with last because she's dark and red looks like it's pretty even on all the fins.
But the second looks nice too. You're going to get red with any of them, so if you want to use her that's up to you.
You could pick the best female/one with the least red from the spawn and breed back to the father. Hope for something closer to his coloring.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would breed Cornelius to either the opaque or the second female down... She appears to have the best form. Either pair will get you lots of variety and that is lots of fun.

I would honestly never breed the black dragon hm and I would consider it rather irresponsible for one reason- his eyes. He is going blind from the dragonscaling and will most likely go fully blind sometime in his life, and that is definitely not a trait you want to pass on to fry.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #6 
Lamb

Dang! I didn't even catch that. I won't breed him for sure! My husband bid on him before I even knew about it. Do you think he'll live alright if he goes blind?

As for Cornelius, I may try to do the opaque still or find something else. I do have an cellophane marble coming in. But she doesn't have dragonscales or any iridescence. The opaque (Taurina) has green irid.

Name:  fwbettashm1375658411.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  93.3 KB
Old 08-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yup, his life will be fine, you just need to make a couple little accommodations like not changing the decorations at all after he goes blind and making sure the food is rot in front of his nose. Blind fish live full and relatively normal lives, it's just an awful thing to pass on to more fish.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #8 
Lamb

Okay! Thank you again Matt! I will be sure to let the man know 'Spot' or Cerious will be going blind. I'm setting him up in an 8x8 cube glass container (vase) it's a little more than 2 gallons. Do you think that would be an okay size for the poor guy?
Old 08-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yup! Just make sure you have the decorations how you want them since changing them around might confuse him.

Last edited by MattsBettas; 08-07-2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Autocorrect -_-
Old 08-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #10 
Lamb

I will! Thank you! :D