Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #1 
Taboo

Eric's adventure

This isn't necessarily an emergency anymore, but it sure felt like one at the time! I thought I'd share Eric's story with everyone, and if it's in the wrong forum I'm ever so sorry

I bought little Eric on a whim, though really, I should have seen it coming. I made the classic mistake of 'just having a peek' at the LPS, and ended up having to go back the next day to pick the sod up. He was just so cute, and so spunky. Luckily, being my fourth betta, I was reasonably prepared. I had a divider set for my 10g, so he was going to be sharing with Ty.

All went well for about a week, when I got out of the shower one evening and saw Eric on the bottom of the tank, panting like he was having a heart attack! Ty was chillin' on his side, divider up and without gaps, so I'm still a little at loss as to what may have happened...but Eric looked like this:

I nearly cried. I was pretty darn sure my little buddy was gonna die, just from stress and infection if nothing else! I chucked him in my 5g 'quarantine' tank and begged my boyfriend to come over with my Aq. salt that he'd borrowed recently. Over the next few days, I obsessed over this little fish, but he was a trouper and really didn't seem to notice his tail was gone! He swam beautifully, scoffed his food and aside from the first moment I found him, didn't stress a drop.

I had to go on prac for a week, so I had a week (where my wonderful boyfriend tended to him) and came back to see some heart-lifting improvements! This is Eric two weeks later:

And just tonight, roughly 4 weeks in, this is his progress:

Ty has the 10g to himself right now, but I will still be putting them in a divided tank, but this time with glass or acrylic siliconed to the sides! I reckon Eric's going to make it, his hilarious personality hasn't changed a jot the whole time and he's tough as nails.

Anybody else have an absolute warrior of a fish? :D
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #2 
txbettaowner

I would be buying the boyfriend anything he wanted. I wouldn't care what it was. Excellent job boyfriend. He looks great. I don't know what he could have had except boyfriend needs a lot of kisses for getting him better.

BTW gorgeous male you have. Excellent pick.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:55 AM   #3 
Taboo

Oh gosh yes, he still has no idea how much I appreciate everything he's done! He followed my instructions to a tee, did water changes on all my tanks (two 5g, 1 20g and a 10g) without complaint, and even bought me another betta!

I'm reasonably convinced it was Ty who did the damage, because if his whole tail caught on decor I'd surely see it, floating around? And that would be some epic tailbiting if it was self-inflicted...I'm just glad it was only his tail and nowhere fatal!

And thanks I try not to pick favourites, but... haha
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #4 
txbettaowner

Yes if it was caught on something you would see the pieces of his tail on the decor or on the bottom of the tank. If it was tailbiting you would see it happening again not getting better. He was being nipped at by Ty then. I pick favorites on accident all the time. I lost my favorite halfmoon girl unexpectedly. I have a new favorite and she is my avatar and profile picture you see. Her name is America as she is from a line called "independence" from a very good friend of mine.

I'm glad your boyfriend did that for you. My boyfriend has picked out 2 bettas for me, one betta was when he was out of state and got it shipped in. I was so excited and unfortunately I lost him to something I still have no idea as to what. He was fine when we got him besides a little skiddish. Then I fed him one morning and went back that evening for 2nd feeding and he was dead on the bottom. I was stunned. I now just rescue bettas and 2 of the rescues (1 i was planning on keeping for myself) I am selling so I have the room for the fry that my 3 pregnant guppy females will bring.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #5 
txbettaowner

Is that 2nd picture at his caudal (tail) missing scales?