Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #1 
AngelicScars

Question Yay or Nay?

I was looking around and it seems like an Otto would be a great tank mate for a laid-back Betta. Plus, the algae benefits with it.

Well, I was wondering if one Otto in a 5 gallon with one male Betta would be okay.
I want to know everyone's opinion on that or if they have done this before. Thanks!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #2 
Campbell

I have the same setup, and was wondering the exact same thing... *waits for answers*
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #3 
crowntail lover

I am wondering the same??
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 PM   #4 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Wonder no more. I keep a betta in a 6gl with a group of otos. Everyone in that tank is happy as pie. I didn't add the otos until after the tank had been set up for a few months and was growing algae. My betta doesn't bother the otos or vice versa. Otos prefer their own company and I'm not a fan of keeping anything less than 3 when it comes to otos. HTH

Last edited by aunt kymmie; 05-22-2009 at 09:44 AM.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:34 AM   #5 
AngelicScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
Wait no more. I keep a betta in a 6gl with a group of otos. Everyone in that tank is happy as pie. I didn't add the otos until after the tank had been set up for a few months and was growing algae. My betta doesn't bother the otos or vice versa. Otos prefer their own company and I'm not a fan of keeping anything less than 3 when it comes to otos. HTH
Thanks, that really does help.
I've read that you should keep ottos together, but I didn't know if my tank was big enough for more then one with it being a 5 gallon.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #6 
crowntail lover

I will be keeping 2 in a 10 gallon with a divider. Then another 2 in the other side
Old 05-22-2009, 09:51 AM   #7 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicScars View Post
Thanks, that really does help.
I've read that you should keep ottos together, but I didn't know if my tank was big enough for more then one with it being a 5 gallon.
IMO bettas & otos have small bioloads. I don't overfeed my betta and if I did his bioload would be much more . I'd think you'd be fine keeping 2-3 otos with your betta, as long as you do weekly w/c of at least 30%. How long has your tank been set up and do you have algae growing in it now?? Otos tend to be delicate, prefer an established tank w/ stellar water parameters, and are known to starve due to their preference for algae. The only food I offer that my otos will take is spinach. Luckily the tank is planted and there is algae readily available.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #8 
crowntail lover

I have both side planted and algea is growing on the sides of the tank and on both plants....
Old 05-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #9 
AngelicScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt kymmie View Post
IMO bettas & otos have small bioloads. I don't overfeed my betta and if I did his bioload would be much more . I'd think you'd be fine keeping 2-3 otos with your betta, as long as you do weekly w/c of at least 30%. How long has your tank been set up and do you have algae growing in it now?? Otos tend to be delicate, prefer an established tank w/ stellar water parameters, and are known to starve due to their preference for algae. The only food I offer that my otos will take is spinach. Luckily the tank is planted and there is algae readily available.
The tank has only been established for a couple of months. I am going to wait a few more months before I do decide to get any.
I actually do about 2 50% water changes a week. I also clean my tank once a month. I don't know if any of this cleaning would negatively effect the Ottos. I was thinking about getting Algae wafers for them if I didn't have enough algae established in the tank otherwise though. I certainly wouldn't want to starve the little guys.
My tank isn't planted either.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #10 
onekatietwo

Oh this is great. Some of you may have seen my issue with the ghost shrimp, but I liked having more than one visible creature in the tank. Mine is also five gallons, so maybe I'll get three Otos. My tank is right by a window. I keep the blinds right behind it mostly closed, but it still gets quite a bit of natural sunlight so I have PLENTY of algae. I've been having to wash it off teh sides and the plants with every water change!
I would gladly welcome anything that could help keep it down, even just a little bit.
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote