Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2009, 11:01 AM   #31 
Angelmonster

Well I started a Sorority tank last night. It is a 29 gallon and I bought two "tree"-like decorations and tons of fake plants(I have neve rhad success with real ones). I bought 7 of them for the tank and ti is true, it seems the darker colored Bettas(one is dark red the other black, blue in the light) are more hostile. The black/blue one will chace the others away if they get too close to her. So far, 24 hours, no torn fins which has to be a semi-good sign. I am only having problems with one tha tmight have swimbladder disorder which is nothing major. I also need to rig the pump to have less of a stream. Right now when they get close to it they are pushed away to the otherside of the tank

I have had a single male betta in a 10 gallon for a few months now. I am not new to fish but new to Bettas(I was always unde rthe assumption they livved in a small container, some in those horrible plant/root eating containers) so never considered them. Now both of my tanks are full of them

So far I love the sorrority because they are very active and they do seem to have their own personalities compared to other fish. I mostly love that I set the tank up in my foyer so when you walk in you have this nice big tank.

The light on the tank blew out and I am buying a new one tonight so once that is set up I will take some pictures!
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:38 PM   #32 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad to hear that your sorority is going well. I'm looking forward to some pics. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #33 
Angelmonster

An update, pictures tomorrow

I had to remove one Betta from the tank. A blue half moon female that wanted to fight EVERY other fish in the tank. I came home and she was hitting another betta...with her frickin fin >_> I have a small, half gallon bowl with lid that I bought in case one of them gets sick. I am going to buy a small 5 gallon tank for her to put on my desk, thats all she is getting for fighting with the others haha. Nothing more >_<(spent about 300 for the set up, probably gonna spend another 100 for a tank >_>).
Old 06-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #34 
dramaqueen
Banned

They're probably trying to establish a pecking order and she wants to be the head honcho. lol
Old 06-25-2009, 09:03 AM   #35 
Angelmonster

Well another one needed to be taken out of the tank. I woke up this morning and one of the light colored ones had really bad torn fins. I took her out and put her in the isolation tank(thank god it has a divider). Righ tnow the aggressive and hurt one are in the tank with 1/4 of a gallon each. I feel bad but I am going to buy them each a 3 gallon tank this weekend so they are safe. If the rest of them need to be seperated I simply don't know what I am going to do. My house isn't big enough to have 9 seperate tanks for the betta(I already have two set up, 10g with a male and the sorority tank).

So I will be buying a bowl or something small for these two and I plan on putting some lucky bamboo in there. I will buy a little heater for it(th eone the size of a credit card) and I will change the water every wednesday and saturday.

If the other 7 do not behave...I don't know what I am going to do I can't have 7 bowls around the house with fish in them, my house isn't that big and I won't have the time to clean all of those tanks every Wednesday
Old 07-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #36 
sweetviolets

Why do you think you are horrible because you are only doing a weekly water change? In my (inexperienced) opinion, I thought you needed to change the water frequently on the tiny tanks. The rest once a week. I bet that 29-gal tank is lovely!
sweetviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #37 
Angelmonster

Thanks, some people believe you should do two water changes a week but it is actually not a good thing if you have a filtered, cycled tank. I jus tthrew tha tin my sig for a laugh haha.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:22 AM   #38 
rb500

I know this is unrelated to betta care, but how do I make a siggy? I looked at my profile page but can't figure it outl.
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #39 
dramaqueen
Banned

rb500, go to user control panel at the top of the page, then go to settings and options.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #40 
Starbright

I was thinking of making a sorority tank but after hearing so many failed attempts, I'm backing off of the idea Dx
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote