Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #1 
pensandmarkers

Question The pump in my betta's home is blowing out dust?

Hello! Hoping that this is the right section for this post.....
Anyway, I bought a new tank the other day. I gave all the components a thorougher clean before setting it up. The water was crystal clear before I turned the pump on, but once I turned it on, the water clouded up with dust particles and after a few hours, a slight film developed on the surface....

I took my fish out immediately and gave the tank another clean thinking that I hadn't cleaned the filter properly, but it's still happening.

The filter came with the tank and I don't think it's the best out there, but surely it should not be doing this? As far as I understand the water should be crystal clear.

I'm thinking that it's possible that I've set the filter up wrong, there were no instructions and I couldn't find any online, so here is how it looks. Have I set this up properly? I literally no nothing about filters D:

Thank you for any help!
pensandmarkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:17 AM   #2 
Cerulean

I am not to sure about setup of that filter but did you rinse out the filter thingies as you put it? Those cartridges often are very dusty and can cause clouding of the tank when first put in. Generally you should run them through tap water really well for a couple of minutes until clear water comes through , give them a good shake to get water out and then instal. Give that a try. Also you could try running the filter overnight or for a day or so before putting in fish and see if things clear up. Also I think that extra clamp is suppose to hold the heater. One more thing that may be an issue because you have current going when the filter is turned on is gravel. Did you thoroughly rinse your gravel or sand before putting it in the tank? It is very dusty and needs to be rinsed well at first , if you didn't and then turned on a current from the filter that could cause things to get stirred up. That is all I can think of ,hope it helps.

Last edited by Cerulean; 04-17-2014 at 06:23 AM.
Cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #3 
pensandmarkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerulean View Post
I am not to sure about setup of that filter but did you rinse out the filter thingies as you put it? Those cartridges often are very dusty and can cause clouding of the tank when first put in. Generally you should run them through tap water really well for a couple of minutes until clear water comes through , give them a good shake to get water out and then instal. Give that a try. Also you could try running the filter overnight or for a day or so before putting in fish and see if things clear up. Also I think that extra clamp is suppose to hold the heater. One more thing that may be an issue because you have current going when the filter is turned on is gravel. Did you thoroughly rinse your gravel or sand before putting it in the tank? It is very dusty and needs to be rinsed well at first , if you didn't and then turned on a current from the filter that could cause things to get stirred up. That is all I can think of ,hope it helps.
Hey! Yeah I did rinse them but not for that long, so I will give that a go. It's coming into winter here (Australia) at the moment and I haven't got any other ways of having water for my betta that's warm enough other than having him in the tank, so I won't be able to do what you suggested in terms of running it for a while.
That extra clamp is for my heater, it came with the heater itself, but the tank came with one also so since I don't use it, I just stuck it there.
My gravel is rinsed very well, so that shouldn't be the issue. I had another tank previously that it was in that I rinsed it thoroughly for and once more when transferring to this tank.

Thank you very much! I hope this works.
pensandmarkers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloudy water, filter, tank issues