Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #11 
kalliburr

I just put the goldfish in their new home yesterday, so the water should still be good for a while. And yes, I know goldfish never should have been in a tank of that size, but I didn't know that until recently, and as soon as I found out, I moved them. And my fish should be here within a week.
kalliburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #12 
kalliburr

ACK! So I just took the center piece out of the Fluval Chi, this plant box that came with it, and there was all this crap stuck under it, old food and poop and stuff. Yuck! Should I clean it all out or change the water (or some of it) or just let the filter suck it up and work on it? I've still got a few days before my betta arrives, and I was thinking maybe leaving it for the filter would help "feed" the bacteria? I don't know. Halp!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #13 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliburr View Post
ACK! So I just took the center piece out of the Fluval Chi, this plant box that came with it, and there was all this crap stuck under it, old food and poop and stuff. Yuck! Should I clean it all out or change the water (or some of it) or just let the filter suck it up and work on it? I've still got a few days before my betta arrives, and I was thinking maybe leaving it for the filter would help "feed" the bacteria? I don't know. Halp!
Yeah, just leave it in there, all that poop and food debris should be still producing ammonia which will feed the bacteria, yummy!

Just remove all that gunk when your new baby boys arrives.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #14 
kalliburr

Yay! Okay, thanks. The filter has actually been doing a pretty sweet job of cleaning it up already. There's nothing but water in the tank right now, and I'm going to be buying my sand and plants and snails and things this weekend. I can't wait!
Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #15 
Hallyx
Reference Team

You might consider leaving one of the goldies in there to provide ammonia for your bacteria until you Betta arrives.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #16 
kalliburr

I would love to, but the goldfish are now living with someone else in a very nice new home. I didn't have the space or money to get a tank or two big enough to keep them. They were always kind of listless and bored in the small tanks, and I never knew why. Once I figured it out, I wanted to get them into a new home as quickly as possible.

This is their new home, and they are the two on the bottom left, the white one and the light gold one:
Old 08-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #17 
sunlight

just want to say if you will add the snail make sure you quarantine them first , do not put them in the tank. Sometimes they can carry the disease , the same with live plants so i would be careful with anything live that you put in the tank.

And this is the link how to take care of the cycled tank, just make sure you rinse/swish the filter in the tank water or dechlorinated water with every water change
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #18 
kalliburr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
just want to say if you will add the snail make sure you quarantine them first , do not put them in the tank. Sometimes they can carry the disease , the same with live plants so i would be careful with anything live that you put in the tank.

And this is the link how to take care of the cycled tank, just make sure you rinse/swish the filter in the tank water or dechlorinated water with every water change
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
Ah, that's a good idea. Thanks! What should I do for them while they're in quarantine? Should I add medicine or something to the water? How do I know whether or not they're sick? And how long should I quarantine them for?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:31 PM   #19 
Micho

Nope, just let them sit there.

Find a container, plop in some plants if you can, make sure it's properly heated, feed them accordingly. Do water changes to make sure the water is clean, after two weeks or so they should be safe.

Also lovely rehome for the goldfish. :) Good job on finding them such a beautiful nice home.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #20 
kalliburr

Also, what should I get to check the pH and ammonia and nitrate levels and whatnot in my tank? I've never done that before.

Tags
advice, environment, habitat, tank