We bought the betta in mid February. I did a full water change every week, using tap water that had been treated with chlorine conditioner. He had a plastic plant and gravel.
Then in mid April (two months later), I switched him to a live plant that I bought from a pet store (don't know the species). Soon after, he started acting lethargic but other than that seemed healthy.
After a few weeks without improvement, I thought it might be ammonia poisoning from the plant. I started changing the water more often (full water change biweekly) and bought a simple air pump. There was no improvement.
At this point, I did not notice any outward signs of illness (no spots, dusting, covering, etc.)
On May 23 he lost his appetite, and so on May 26 I started a regiment of Tetracycline (suspecting bacterial gill infection) along with CopperSafe, which contains Chelated Copper Sulfate (suspecting Ick or Velvet).
On May 29 I noticed signs of fin rot (ragged edges, a few strands have fallen off). I've also started to notice some splotching on his scales (mostly around his face) and he seems to be rubbing himself on the gravel.
The Tetracycline regiment is supposed to run until Saturday.
1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons)
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water?
3. How long the aquarium has been set up?
3 months (bought same time as the betta fish)
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know)
One male betta fish
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
There was, but it has since been removed.
6. What temperature is the tank water currently?
7. What make/model filter are you using?
8. Are you using a CO2 unit?
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day?
Not directly. Window in the opposite corner of the room.
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed?
11. How often do you perform water changes?
For the first 2 months I was changing the whole tank weekly. When he started acting lethargic I thought it might have been ammonia poisoning and I started changing the water biweekly. Now I change it by the tetracycline regiment he's on.
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish?
I feed him 3 pellets of Betta Bits twice per day.
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on?
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips?
I measured the pH to be around 8 with pH test strips. I don't have the materials to test ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate.
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank?
This is my first fish.