Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #1 
SilverGodYouko

Looking under the weather...

1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons)
~1.5 Liters

2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water?
Fresh (bottled/filtered spring water)

3. How long the aquarium has been set up?
~2 weeks
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know)
1 Crowntail Betta

5. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
No

6. What temperature is the tank water currently?
Room temp (about 75)

7. What make/model filter are you using?
No filter

8. Are you using a CO2 unit?
No

9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day?
Yes, indirectly

10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed?
Full water change today

11. How often do you perform water changes?
Weekly

12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish?
1-2 Pellets 2-3 times daily

13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on?
Natural lighting during the day and standard house lights after dusk.

14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time?
Fish is acting very lethargic. Not going up for air on his own, loss of apetite, times of heavy and very shallow breathing.

15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
Have no way to test this at this time.

16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips?
N/A

17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank?
Bought him ~2 weeks again. Was very lively and color was vibrant. Symptoms came on suddenly (yesterday).
SilverGodYouko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

First, your fish is in too small of a tank. Get a 2.5 gallon or larger asap.
Remember, your fish is tropical, so the water temp needs to be 78-80 degrees. Either make sure your room temp is that high or get a heater for the tank. With a small tank like that I would do water changes every other day until you get a larger tank.
You should be using a water conditioner to balance the ammonia and pH levels.
Make sure you have a thermometer to keep an eye on the temp.
The best thing for your Betta is clean water.
I hope that helps.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:52 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Cooler temps will make a fish lethargic. They need t be at 78-80.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #4 
SilverGodYouko

I have four other bettas that are in similar volumes of water and the exact same water conditions and their color is brilliant and they are full of vitallity. I have kept the other four in slightly cooler conditions with no negative effect on their health (one of which for almost a year).

There have been much cooler days where he has been just fine and the last couple of days have been much warmer than usual. I really don't think those things are an issue.

I also use an appropriate amount of dechlorinator.

=\
Old 05-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I keep mine at about 75-76 degrees. 78-80 is just the recommended temp. I hope I didn't offend you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #6 
AngelicScars

Yes, low temps do in fact cause them to become lethargic. I'm sorry that you didn't like the responses that were given, but you did ask for advice.
Also, I'm sorry you have them in such small tanks.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:47 AM   #7 
SilverGodYouko

Wow, no need to be rude AngelicScars. I never said it can't cause them to be, I was simply saying that is a variable that has not changed, thus likely not the problem.

Maybe if you checked the scientific method you'd know that constants are contrasted against variables in order to gain information and deduct a conclusion.

Also take into consideration the things you are unaware when blindly making such a rude remark, such as the fact that I live in an apartment and there are strict codes regarding how many gallons of water can be kept without violating my tenant's code, not to mention the space available.

Please take into account that I change my fishes water more often due to the smaller tanks.

Or that I exercise them regularly, talk to them, I even sing to my fishes since they seem to enjoy the vibrations.

And please note that I have, for months, observed the behavoir of my fish and that there is a possibility that, even in the conditions that you seem to find so deplorable, they may be happier and healthier than even your own fish.

Also pleast note that I was able to nurse back to health a fish that was on the verge of death, so obviously I must know something.

I also have a friend whom has been raising fish for years, has extensive knowledge and experience, currently caring for over 40 fish, whom I consult on a regular basis.

Now I will kindly ask my questions of those whom can keep an open mind and whom do not carry an ostentatious, know-it-all attitude.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:52 PM   #8 
rockstar26

silver, you posted needing advice, that is what other folks are given you. THEIR advice... I hope you can relax a little and realize we all are here for our love of our BETTAs.... to gain knowledge and to share what we have learned as well....
rockstar26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #9 
onekatietwo

Hmm. When I got my Betta, he had similar symptoms come on very suddenly after about a week or two of owning him. Get a flash light or a desk lamp and play with the lighting in and around the tank and look VERY closely at the Betta. Mine had gross fungus hyphea looking strands growing off of him but they were so small and thread like that it was nearly impossible to notice.

So look VERY VERY closely. Many fish inflictions are visable with the nakedeye, but only just barely. If you do see something it will be easier to diagnose and then treat him.

As far as general treatments go, you can always do more water changes (especially in such a small tank that is not cycled. More water changes won't hurt) and raise the temp a bit. Both seem to generally aid in any type of recovery. Keeping the lights low or off can also help the Bettas immune system stay up because it can prevent further stress (thoug I would still reccommend some temporary bright/varying lights to examine him. Some things can only be seen at just the right angle)

Lastly, I too would reccomend upgrading to a tank/vase/whatever of at least a gallon(4-5 liters). :) They're just as easy to maintain, can be quite stylish and they're funner to watch the Betta in. Tall gallon jars have a small enough bottom surface area that they can be set on stools in a corner, in the middle of the kitchen table, ora ntyhing.And I doubt the landlord would mind too much. If anything is said, you could always apologize and downsize again.

Good luck!
onekatietwo is offline   Reply With Quote