Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #1 
Winged Mermaid

Smile Fish virgin here :P

Hello everyone! I'm completely new to having a fish as a pet. I'd wanted a betta for many years (about 10 years at least) but just never felt like I was in a position to take good care of one, or had other misgivings- like how my cats would deal, or being close to another move as my husband is in the military, for example. Recently I moved to Washington state. I have Seasonal Affective Disorder, among other issues, so this state is realllly kicking my butt (even with light therapy). Watching fish swim has always been very calming and helps my mood, so I decided that if it would make me happy I should just say screw the excuses and get one :) I'm a water baby myself (I actually do professional mermaiding if that tells you anything) and LOVE aquatic life, so I think it was just a matter of time, haha.

I just wanted to thank everyone for this site. When I decided to get a betta, the first thing I wanted to know was how to PROPERLY take care of one, and started researching a few weeks before I planned to buy one. Because I know pet stores lie about what is best for a lot of pets and often proper care for animals is not passed on or learned by pet owners. Boy am I GLAD I did! I had no idea how much they needed, how much work they could be, how sensitive they could be, ect. This site helped me so much to get a responsible set up for my little boy, and continues to help me every day learning WAY more about how to take good care of him than I can find anywhere else on the web! Also I run a forum of my own (for the merfolk community) and I know what a huge job it can be, so thank you owners, co-owners, admins, mods, and all the other supporters for doing what you do and doing it well :)

It's great to know there's a community here that's passionate and supportive, and I can be a "crazy fish lady" without being ashamed ;) I've already come to terms with the crazy cat lady thing years ago, haha.

Happy to be here

Here's my current set up- 5 gallon with filter, heater, thermometer, LED light, hide-away, silk plant, and bamboo stalk. Not bad for a total noob I think!

And here's my boy Merlin. It's hard to get a good picture of him because he's just constantly moving around! But that's a good thing so I won't complain too much about the photo issue ;)

Last edited by Winged Mermaid; 08-15-2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added photos of my tank
Winged Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #2 
jona31

oooh he very nice welcome to the forum i'm sure your going to be a great aqua momma lol
jona31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #3 
ashleylyn

Beautiful set up and fish! My boyfriend is also in the military (Army) and I have a similar issue to you - winter kicks my butt. :( I need sunlight or else depression really kicks in. He loved Washington though and said it was a beautiful place he wouldn't mind going, but I'm hoping for the SE (I'm a FL native!).

Anyway, welcome to the forum! And if you ever want to talk (bettas, military, icky weather making us feel bad), feel free to message me or add me on Facebook if you want! :)
ashleylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:56 AM   #4 
JayM

Hi. Nice boy & tank. :)
JayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #5 
LinkLover

Welcome to the forum! You have an adorable fish. I just wanted to say, I also live in Washington and know how it can really put a damper on your mood (I have SAD and clinical depression), so if you ever need to talk, feel free to message me. :)
LinkLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #6 
BettaLover1313

Welcome to the forum! Merlin is simply beautiful! I love how you've set up your tank as well!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #8 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum!
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote