Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #1 
mrjekins

Hey Everyone!

Hey,

I am new here and just got my new betta fish today. I haven't had fish in a long time so I desided to set up a small tank (.5 gallon) to start. I have my little fish in there now just as a holding tank. He seems really happy in there and is swimming around like crazy! I went out today and bought a bigger tank to give him some more room and I might buy a couple other fish to go with him. How long should I wait before putting him in his new home? I have it all set up and the heater has been on for about 45 minutes and the temperature is perfect. One guy told me to wait a week. Some one else told me it really doesnt matter.
mrjekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #2 
LiyahsGrandma

Wink

I waited 24hrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjekins View Post
Hey,

I am new here and just got my new betta fish today. I haven't had fish in a long time so I desided to set up a small tank (.5 gallon) to start. I have my little fish in there now just as a holding tank. He seems really happy in there and is swimming around like crazy! I went out today and bought a bigger tank to give him some more room and I might buy a couple other fish to go with him. How long should I wait before putting him in his new home? I have it all set up and the heater has been on for about 45 minutes and the temperature is perfect. One guy told me to wait a week. Some one else told me it really doesnt matter.
LiyahsGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #3 
IonBaller07

It doesnt matter, the guys was probably saying give it a week so the tank has time to cycle but the .5g is going to have the same effects on the fish just more concentrated. I would move him right away, acclimating him if you can.

Also what other fish were you planning to put in there.

Edit: Yah now that I read that ^ maybe you should leave him in the .5g for a few hours because he might be stressed from the re-homing and I you might not want to stress him twice in the same day. I doubt it really matters but IDK.

Last edited by IonBaller07; 05-30-2009 at 05:54 PM.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #4 
AngelicScars

Congrats on the Betta and welcome to the board!

It depends, wait at least a min. of 1 day otherwise a week is fine.
Are you conditioning the water? Do you have a filter? If you have a filter you have to run it 24 hours anyway. I'm glad you bought him a bigger tank!
How big is the tank? That will be one determining factor if he can have tankmates or not. I wouldn't go smaller then a 10 gallon with tankmates. (Maybe a 5 gallon, but only put a max of three). Make sure that the tankmates you do get are "Betta friendly." Also keep in mind that some Betta do not care for tank mates at all, so please have something for the tankmates to live in if he doesn't care for them.
Oh, and we'd love to see pics!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:55 PM   #5 
mrjekins

Before when I had a tank, I had one betta then I had 1/2 a dozen tetra fish. They all seemed to get alone well and my betta lived for about a year before he got sick. Then all the fish got sick so that ended me having fish!
Old 05-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. How big is the new tank? If its 5 gallons or larger you might want to cycle it. Cycling can take 4 to 6 weeks. If you don't want to cyckle, thats ok. You won't need a filter to cycle and you'll have to keep up with more frequent water changes. It depends on how big the tank is, whether or not you can have tankmates and how many you can have.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

Tetra are usually bad tankmates.
Really, it all depends on the temperament of your Betta. Some are okay with them and some aren't. Good luck! :)
Old 05-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #8 
IonBaller07

Yah you could try a few tetras, watch out though because quite a few times the bettas will kill the tetras. Mine didnt but it does happen.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #9 
mrjekins

I added some tap water conditioner and this other stuff that is supposed to help your tank. I dont have a filter, I just have an air pump and a heater, I am planning on changing the water weekly. The tank I bought is 2.5 Gallons. I dont know if I will add more but they just look so lonely haha. I always feel that pets need friends
Old 05-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #10 
AngelicScars

I wouldn't add any tankmates to a 2.5 gallon. Believe me he will be happy all by himself! :) If you want you can always "play" with him. You can move your finger across the glass and he will chase it. My Bettas love to do that.
You don't need a filter, it is all by preference. The water changes will be fine. Keep up with the water conditioning and your Betta will be one happy little boy!