Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #1 
Loz

Loz's journal - Electro

Hey all, I'm new here and loving the forum. I have just purchased a Betta fish not too long ago for my son, he has called him Electro! He's an awesome blue/purple colour and I've just fallen in love with this little fish!

It was one of those "the fish chooses you" moments at the pet shop, I was looking for a goldfish and there were none left at the store (who runs out of goldfish? fate?) so I decided to go buy some goldfish food and instead saw this beautiful fish in his own tank swimming over to see me and I knew he was ours.

Anyway, long story short.. after reading this forum about how to care for Electro (his tail looks a bit shredded hence the google searching) I'm quite angry with the pet shop and the advice they gave me on how to care for him. They told me he was a cold water fish and only needed one pellet of food a day. They did give me the right food. I also have heaps of plastic plants in my tank which may be responsible for the tail shredding.

Arggh, my poor fish! Anyway I'm going to up his feeding to one pellet twice a day and get him some bloodworms, and I've ordered a water heater online for him. It gets quite cold here, not sure how he's surviving! I'll eventually try and get a better water filter so there's less current in his tank. I'm totally fascinated with the idea of creating him a live plant tank.. there are some beautiful ones out there!
Loz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #2 
BettaLover1313

Electro sounds like a cute little guy, and I'm glad you've done your research for his care! I'm sure he'll give you and your son lots of fun adventures!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #3 
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
Electro sounds like a cute little guy, and I'm glad you've done your research for his care! I'm sure he'll give you and your son lots of fun adventures!
Thanks Betta yeah he is cute, even with missing fins... poor fish! About to order some live plants online for his tank. Will post pics soon.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

You could even up his feeding to 2 pellets twice a day.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #5 
Loz

Yes I have done this over the past week, and he does look a bit healthier for it. I've also replaced his plastic plants with a real one.. I've bought aquarium sand and planted it in that but I'm wondering if that is enough? I think I might need some real dirt under the sand for nutrients for the plants? Is that right or will plants grow okay in sand?

I asked the guy at the pet store and he said yes but I really don't trust their answers anymore and this kid looked about 15. I bought a ammonia test kit but they told me I don't need to get any other kits apart from that... would that be a fair statement or should I buy a few more kits for nitrate and nitrite and ph etc?

I would eventually like to get a bigger aquarium for the lounge room if I can successfully manage this aquarium. I've always loved aquariums in other people's houses but didn't think I could manage taking care of one! Apparently small aquariums are harder than larger ones?

Anyway big learning curve but I'm really enjoying it. Have a few more plants coming in the mail and a heater so hopefully Electro will pick up once his water is the right temperature.

He loves hiding in his new plant, making it worth the effort watching him hide in there and popping his head in and out.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #6 
Mar

Which plants do you have?
The sand should be okay, if your plants do need extra nutrients, you could always
get tabs or liquid fertilizer.

You need an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate test kit.
A lot of people here (including me) use the API master freshwater testkit. (it has ammonia, nitrite, ph, hardness, nitrate, etc)
Liquid test kits are always more reliable.

How big is the aquarium he is currently in?
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #7 
Loz

http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/pla...n.aspx?pid=051

It is this plant, quite well grown already.

The tank I worked out holds around 10 litres of water, so it's almost a 3 gallon tank.

I was definitely thinking what the pet shop lady said didn't sound right compared to what I had read and I thought there would have to be a test kit that tested everything, she tried to sell me one of each kit which would have been over $120 worth of kits so I just got the one for now. I'll google and find that kit you mentioned and order one. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #8 
Mar

If the plant is growing well already, (without soil, fertilizers, etc) you should be fine with the sand you have now.

a 3 gallon tank is perfectly fine for a betta, but he'd definitely appreciate more space.

Glad to hear you're really into taking proper care of your betta!
Old 08-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #9 
Loz

I just put the plant in yesterday so my main goal is to keep it alive!! If it starts to wilt I'll get some fertiliser for it.

Yes I think I will definitely upgrade his tank in the future... once I learn the basics! Thanks for the help, definitely appreciated!
Old 08-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #10 
Mar

Oooh ok.
Do you have any lighting for the plant?