Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #31 
Loz

I actually did see the photos on your journal x

So I lost out on the aquarium light on e-bay at the last second by .1c if you can believe that!! arghhh. I was late in and my phone wouldn't refresh fast enough so I was outbid. A $100 light for $30 too... I'm a wee bit disappointed. (understatement) so am still in need of a light. Although with the water temperature up the plant seems to be thriving again, it's nice and green. Awesome.

I've also ordered a testing kit which should hopefully arrive Monday so I'll be able to test the water properly soon. I also bought some medication to treat fin rot. I'm thinking it might be fin rot now so I might set up a small hospital tank to treat Electro. Will probably come in handy having him out of the tank while the new plants arrive anyway. See what happens in the next week or so.
Loz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:27 PM   #32 
Loz

Yah first plant arrived.. a swordplant. Exciting. They also sent a free gift of algae fish food sinkers or something, nice but I don't think I can use them?
Old 08-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #33 
Mar

yAY!
I have algae sinkers, they're for my snails on occasion.
Glad to hear your plant arrived, healthy?
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #34 
Loz

Yep! Just one leaf was a bit brown so I cut it off. Looks good in the tank. I had to shove it partly under the rock though to keep it from floating away!! Need some more rocks for the tank next time I'm at the beach..
Old 08-19-2013, 12:01 AM   #35 
Mar

Pictures xD

Make sure to sanitize the rocks before slipping them in!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #36 
Loz

I'll take some pics on Friday as I'm going to have to buy some more sand, the plants keep floating away on me but I noticed that if I heaped up a bit more sand they would stay put. The first plant is not looking good, so I'm back to e-bay to get a light today. I have a feeling this plant might not make it through my learning process but lets hope I can pull it together in time.

I got my testing kit today and tested my water and it's all good.. yay. PH is 7.4-7.6 I tested using a low PH and high PH and got 7.6 for the high and 7.4 for the low so I'd say the water is 7.6. From what I've read that's cool for a betta?

Anyway.. water conditions.. check. (And I did feel a little like a scientist this morning with all the test tubes haha) Not looking forward to yet another whole tank empty on Friday though. Will still only do a 50% water change but I have to sort out this plant thing. I'm half thinking of putting Electro in the other tank to treat him for fin rot (just in case) while all this is happening. I have another rock.. that I will sterilise.. and put that in as well. I'm thinking if I'm doing a trip to the pet store anyway to get sand I might get another sword plant, those things are COOL in the tank. I love the look of them.

So this is an expensive hobby? Sure feels like it at the moment!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #37 
Loz

PS Having said that.. I'd be lying if I said I haven't been eyeing off those big tanks on e-bay. I can definitely see a second (larger) tank in my fishkeeping future.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #38 
Loz

PPS As an extra note.. even the kids have commented on how much more Electro swims these days. He is a lot happier.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #39 
Mar

That's great! I'm happy to hear Electro's doing well.
7.6 is fine for a betta, I'd recommend not tampering with the pH
because the betta was most likely born and raised in similar water, so
he's probably adjusted to it.

I hope your plants survive!
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #40 
Loz

Thanks! Just spent the entire day (arghh) re-doing the substrate for the plants. There's another thread that tells you how to do it so I followed her instructions, kept filling and re-filling the tank to clean it and settle the substrate and it worked well... tank is still a bit cloudy but that will settle. She suggests doing twice weekly 50% changes while the plants settle and I've really noticed how murky the water has been so that's probably good advice so I'll do a half water change on Friday. Some dirt is still floating to the surface but water changes will take care of that. Will take a photo when the water clears up a bit but it's looking great! I got another sword plant and a floating plant for the surface, got the light hooked up so from here on in I'm hoping it's just maintaining the water and trimming plants! (wishful thinking probably)

I walked past the tank a minute ago and some of the plants have floated away on me, gah.. will have to fix that again but it's looking pretty darn good. Even if I say so myself.