Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2013, 08:24 PM   #61 
Loz

Thanks Dramaqueen but it is getting much better now. New heater and a few new plants and I'm just about to cycle it again and it should be all uphill from here.
Loz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #62 
Loz

Old 08-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #63 
Loz

Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #64 
Loz

Okay so fishless cycling with no ammonia just wasn't going to happen, I could only get the ammonia up to 1pp using fish food so I decided impatiently to cycle the tank with fish. I went and got 4 corys as I read up on them and they are compatible with Bettas. So I spent the day getting the ammonia out of the tank and it is now housed by these little guys.

They are different... they wouldn't move for half an hour when I got them home but they are now happily swimming about. I put some sinking algae food in for them after reading up on what they eat and they haven't touched them yet. I'll be pulling them out tonight if they don't start eating them (the food that is!). The pet shop lady said you don't need to feed them as they just eat algae but as I don't trust the pet shop people anymore I've been reading up on their diet and they eat bloodworms.. yay.. I have heaps of them in the freezer. I'll get some shrimp pellets soon. Hopefully they'll eat the algae food I put in anyway. I'll check the ammonia readings morning and night, this tank will cycle so I'm going to have to watch it like a hawk.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #65 
Loz

Ok just did testing on my water

Ammonia - slightly green but mostly yellow so somewhere between 0-0.25ppm
PH 8.8 which is weird as it's normally 7.6 or so, so not sure what is going on there but from my understanding you shouldn't mess with ph levels so I'll see what happens with this, I did just do a few water changes so that could be it
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Was harder than I thought to get the ammonia down, hopefully I can cycle this tank okay with fish in.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #66 
Loz

Corys are doing awesome.. they didn't eat the bloodworms at first but once I was out of sight they devoured them all. Yay, they are eating! Will have to find them some sort of food source.. I don't think they like the algae pellets I have. There's one pellet in the tank at the moment, I'll see if it's still there in the morning.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:08 AM   #67 
Loz

The corys aren't really eating the algae pellets... they are getting smaller but I'm not sure if they are dissolving or slowing being sucked away! LOL

Just water tested and ammonia is .25ppm so going to do a water change and then feed them some bloodworms. They are awesome fish to watch, so glad I got them!!

The ph is down to an acceptable level today too. 7.4.. phew.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:26 PM   #68 
Loz

Corys are doing amazing now... they are so much fun to feed! I got them some shrimp pellets and algae wafers which they are devouring. I'm not exactly sure how much to feed them, I gave them bloodworms this morning and 4 algae pellets. They ate all the bloodworms and the pellets are almost gone. I just put in three shrimp pellets and one algae pellet and I think that's all I'll give them for the rest of the day. I do want them eating the algae off the plants too! Fun fish anyway.

The cycling is going well, I found a chart online that lists the days and where each measurement should be at and I'm finding it's following that exactly. It's great as I can see the ammonia will start to spike soon and when the nitrite should start to come in. It's saving me money on testing anyway as I'm just testing the ph every second day and ammonia waiting for the spike. It was up to .5ppm today which is good so I did a 50% water change this morning and I'll test the levels again tonight. The corys look happy as can be anyway. Once again the LFS gave me bad advice and told me they only eat algae and scraps but I'm finding these guys eat a fair bit, so they would have starved not being fed. Probably explains the dead half eaten one in the fish tank at the store...

Anyway found some bettas at another pet store today.. so excited about that. I'll go in and get one when the tank is cycled. They had some pretty ones too, nothing fancy but some nice blue ones!
Old 08-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #69 
Loz

Oh.. and we also picked up a baby budgie today. Marty McFly. So excited about him too, starting to feel like I live in a zoo!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #70 
Loz

So my tank is coming along much better now, have gone fully planted. Had to take the corys back to the pet shop as I was going away and the tank still hadn't cycled properly.

Soon after, it cycled and then I replaced the substrate and added more appropriate plants. Once I get it cycled again, it's fish shopping time. I'll be getting a betta, and pygmy corys.

I actually had to change the substrate as the plants started to die off and they just weren't getting the nutrients they needed to thrive. I've taken out the sand and put in eco-complete. I'm also getting fertiliser and co2 soon.

Last edited by Loz; 10-10-2013 at 05:52 PM.