Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2009, 10:06 PM   #1 
dr2b

New Betta owner!

I bought my first betta yesterday! He is a beautiful crowntail betta. I am really excited to have my little guy - but I am a little worried about him.

I forgot to pick up a heater when I bought him, so I am going Monday to buy one. But I usually keep the house at around 75-76 (and the room he is in is usually the hottest room in the house). The water has been treated properly also. He seems so sad. I got him a 2 gallon tank, and he has lots of room to swim. But he just sits at the bottom of the tank, every so often he will swim to the top and move around. Sometimes when I walk in the room he will come to the side of the tank I am on and just stare at me. He has flared up at us a couple of times, and he also chases bubbles around sometimes. He also hasn't ate much. He ate 1 freeze-dried bloodworm today (he wouldn't eat yesterday). Oh, and he refuses to eat pellets when I put them in. When he is laying at the bottom of the tank, he sometimes will lay on his side (not completely on his side though). He doesn't look to have any white spots, and his fins look normal when I compare them to pictures of crowntail mails on the internet. Do you think it is just stress from a new environment mixed with the temperature not being warm enough?

I really hope he pulls through - I am worried about him. I am hoping this is kind of normal for a new betta...

Last edited by dr2b; 05-31-2009 at 10:12 PM.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:17 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to FishForum. It usually takes bettas awhile to adjust to their new home and some bettas won't eat for a few days after they are brought home. Just give him some time. Also, bettas can be picky eaters so you may have to try a different brand of pellet. I just went through that myself with a new betta.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:26 PM   #3 
EvilPunkLlama

Hello there! I wouldn't worry, he's probably just adjusting to his new environment. As for the not eating, bettas can go up to a month without eating with no ill effects! Just keep offering him the pellets (and clean out any uneaten ones) and he'll eventually eat when he's hungry!
EvilPunkLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:31 PM   #4 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

I agree with Drama & Llama. They take a bit to settle in. A heater will be much appreciated by your fish. I keep my betta at 80 degrees, which I think is the ideal temps for bettas. I'm a little concerned about the lying on the side but hopefully the temp increase will get him right side up. Congrats on your new fish and welcome to the forum!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:34 PM   #5 
dr2b

I read some place that bettas (esp crowntails) will lie on their side kind of at the bottom of the tank because of their fins being larger...is this true?
Old 05-31-2009, 10:38 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hhmmm... I've never heard of that.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:44 PM   #7 
dr2b

Hmm ok. Well hopefully he is just acclimating.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #8 
dr2b

Well I think I just got a picky lil guy. He keeps taking a pellet in his mouth and spitting it out. But he will gulp those bloodworms like nothing. So I suppose I am going to have to find a new brand of pellets. I did get him a 5 gallon tank the other day and he is like a new fish. As soon as I put him in he began just swimming around like crazy. He is the most active I have seen him since I got him Saturday.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad he likes his new home.