Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 PM   #1 
MADxMAC771

Paulie Update

Hey guys,

Update on my fish Paul. As we all thought he was doing better.. eating more regularly, moving around more. I noticed today that what I thought was a deformed lip from fight injuries is not somewhat swollen and is spreading to the rest of the right side of his face. I put him back on beta fix immediately after noticing that the swelling/infection was spreading... his right eye is even swollen and bulging. Is there anything else I should do along with the beta fix? He is in a filtered 2.5 gallon marineland glass tank. Maybe daily 50% water changed and beta fix regiment will help ensure that he is a prime healing environment?
MADxMAC771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:17 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

If the Bettafix isn't helping then he may need a stronger antibiotic. I just read on the back of the package that Bettafix is good on open wounds and fin damage due to fighting. You could add a little salt to the water if you haven't already. Poor Paul! I hope he gets aalong ok.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:28 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

Jungle Fungus Eliminator is probably stronger and can be used for a variety of things. You could probably try that. I hope he starts getting better soon!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:14 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree. Jungle Fungus Eliminator could help.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:14 AM   #5 
MADxMAC771

Is JFE something that I could find at my local Petsmart/Petco? How much aquarium salt should I add to a filtered 2.5 gallon?
Old 06-01-2009, 06:58 AM   #6 
MADxMAC771

I just fed Paul and gave him another dose of Betafix. This will be his second day on the meds. He seems to be more active today already. He is aggressively chasing his food, as he used to, and snapping at it multiple times. Whatever swelling there is, however, seems to be impeding his ability to keep the pellets in his mouth long enough to swollow. I did notice something wierd... When he went to bite at a pelled something seemed to jet from his nostril. A stringy like, ***** white substance. From what he was doing and the way he was acting it seemed like the moving and repeated snapping forced out some of the infected tissue.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I just looked at my bottle of Jungle Fungus Eliminator and it has salt in it so I don't know how much salt, if any, to add. Yes, you can get it at Petsmart, Petco or maybe even Walmart. I'm not a vet but it seems like all that ***** stuff coming out would be a good sign that his body is getting rid of the infection.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:11 AM   #8 
ZanZan

Maybe he sneezed >>
ZanZan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanZan View Post
Maybe he sneezed >>
lol!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #10 
MADxMAC771

OK. Here's what I got.

Neither of the petstores had the Jungle brand fungus eliminator. I did, however, manage to get Kordon brand Rid-Fungus which seems to have the same functions as the Jungle brand. Claims to be a "100% organic fungal disease treatment". I chose this over everything else at the store becuase everything else was either in packets or tablets designed for 10gal tanks or larger. I also purchased the Jungle brand Anti-Bacterial medicated fish food. The box claims that it can be used along with external treatments and helps to cure internal and external bacterial infections.

I already did Paulies betta fix treatment for the day so I figured I would try to do some anti bacterial food tonight and start with the rid fungus tomorrow. I read on a box that I should take my carbon filter out but let the filter run. This was on a box to one of the fizzy pellet type medicines. What do you guys say about that?