Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #1 
BagginsMom

Tank size?

Hi everyone,

I've been researching online for a while, and am thoroughly confused by conflicting info. I have one betta (Baggins) in a 5-gallon tank. He's been doing fine for about 9 months. I'm wanting 2 more bettas, and (money crunch) bought two 2.5 gallon tanks (Aqueon), each tank to house 1 fish, but am not sure they are big enough to house anything, let alone a beautiful betta!

Question 1: Is the Aqueon 2.5 gallon an okay-size for a betta to thrive, not just survive? Tank would be filtered and heated (although I dislike the 7.5 watt under-gravel heaters, and don't know if my Hydor Theo 25 watt is too much for a 2.5 gallon tank).

Question 2: For anyone with two 5-gallon tanks, how do you support those tanks? Does anyone know of a 5-gallon stand for an acrylic tank? These need to be supported all across the bottom, unlike glass tanks which need support only on frame.

Look forward to hearing about anyone's success with 2.5 gallon tanks. They seem so very small!
BagginsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #2 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagginsMom View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been researching online for a while, and am thoroughly confused by conflicting info. I have one betta (Baggins) in a 5-gallon tank. He's been doing fine for about 9 months. I'm wanting 2 more bettas, and (money crunch) bought two 2.5 gallon tanks (Aqueon), each tank to house 1 fish, but am not sure they are big enough to house anything, let alone a beautiful betta!

Question 1: Is the Aqueon 2.5 gallon an okay-size for a betta to thrive, not just survive? Tank would be filtered and heated (although I dislike the 7.5 watt under-gravel heaters, and don't know if my Hydor Theo 25 watt is too much for a 2.5 gallon tank).
I don't have the Aqueon but plenty of people do. I prefer the Marineland 2.5g it seems to be wider rather than taller. I use an Aqueon 50W heater in my 2.5g tanks with no problems so your Hydor should be fine. Yes your Betta can thrive, its all about tank maintenance & keeping your Betta engaged through attention, plants, caves, toys, etc.
Question 2: For anyone with two 5-gallon tanks, how do you support those tanks? Does anyone know of a 5-gallon stand for an acrylic tank? These need to be supported all across the bottom, unlike glass tanks which need support only on frame.
I have a glass 5.5g tank on the cabinet under my TV & an Acrylic 5g on the my end table, so I don't keep multiple tanks on the same stand. I have a total of 7 (8 with the QT tank) tanks of varying sizes at my house. Some people purchase industrial type shelving. It really depends on the space you looking at.
Look forward to hearing about anyone's success with 2.5 gallon tanks. They seem so very small!
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #3 
TheTrojanBetta

I have a betta in a 5.5 gallon tank, and just recently got a 3 gallon tank for my new betta. I was actually wanting to get the 2.5 but the 3 cost less so I went with that. As far as I can tell, Penelope is just as happy as Odysseus and doing just fine in a smaller tank! She eats, she swims, she plays at the front of the tank any time I come in the room. I think as long as you provide them with things like plants, caves, and a heater they do just as well. I've heard that some bettas actually prefer a smaller space! If anything, think of it this way- it's way better than what they had before and where they could have ended up.
Barring those little half gallon cubes, I think that a betta can thrive in most tanks, given that the person who is providing for them is knowledgeable and loves them. Both of which you seem to be! I think your new bettas will do just great in their new homes. :)
TheTrojanBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #4 
BagginsMom

Thank you both for responding! I'm doing water testing now in the 2.5, to see if I can get it to water quality a betta would thrive in. Also wondering if a 2.5 gallon tank cycles? Have read "impossible for a tank that small to cycle" and "possible to cycle even that small" various places on the 'Net, so don't know what to believe. Don't want to kill any fish, so I haven't got more bettas yet. Want to see if I can make the tank work first.

I've used some of the gravel from my wonderfully-balanced 5-gallon tank to seed the new 2.5.

Do people here have success with cycling 2.5 gallon tanks? I won't have real plants. Just a couple of silk ones (no plastic). And likely a betta log as his / her hidey-hole. That's the plan at the moment, if I can get the tank healthy.
BagginsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #5 
shellieca

Personally I don't run filters in my 2.5g tanks. Its easy for me to do the 2 water changes each week. Its just my personal preference.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #6 
sassyfriend

I say 2.5 tanks are fine for bettas.
sassyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:28 PM   #7 
bambijarvis

Honestly a second 5galon divided would probably have been easier to filter/heat.

No they aren't too small size wise. But I would rmove the filter for more room(if it takes up any) and just do water changes. cycling a tank that small it'll be unstable I hear.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #8 
cowboy

I have 2 gallon fluval specs and the fish are happy and thriving.
cowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I have three 2.5g cycled tanks running. Weekly 50% pwc's and no problems. Lebron has a couple, and there are many other Betta-keepers around her with healthy cycled <5g tanks.

I don't know what "unstable" or "less stable" implies. I wish someone would explain that to me.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #10 
JamieL

I moved one betta from his 5.5 to a 2.5 so I could fishless cycle the larger tank, I don't bother with a filter in the 2.5. It's small enough that I just pour the water out, rinse, pour the new water in, replace decor, done! I actually timed myself the other day, the water change took 6 minutes, ha ha. (I floated him in the cup for another 10 to be sure the water conditioner had time to work, but up to that point it took 6 minutes).

He doesn't seem to mind the smaller space. I want to get him back in the larger one because I want the small one out of my kitchen, but he seems fine. Active as ever, and I think he actually likes being in the kitchen because its a higher traffic area. I was baking the other night and he was watching my every move. I think 2.5 is fine for them as long as its maintained and they have stuff to do in there.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote