Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2009, 09:56 PM   #1 
OlDrunk

Question help with low maintence tank set-up?

So I'm starting to like my betta and gave him a name ( Hendrix ) and want to give him a bigger home then the 1g bowl he's in now( keeps bumping into the glass) , been looking around and the pricing on a 5gallon tank is cheaper then I thought it would be. So I have a busy life and usually away from home for a couple of days at a time(don't worry some one will be around to feed him) so I would like to know what would be a good low maintenance tank set-up?
I know having filters on the tank would lower the amount of water changes and I know I need a heater but what about plants or other animals in the tank that would help keep it clean and help make Hendrix happy?? What would be a optimal set up?

Last edited by OlDrunk; 06-01-2009 at 09:58 PM.
OlDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #2 
AngelicScars

Filters can definitely keep the water clearer. In a 5 gallon you could do a 50% water change once a week. I'm sure you could do it less though.
As far as tankmates, 3 Otos could work in a 5 gallon. I wouldn't put more in there then that.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:37 AM   #3 
Fishin Pole

Definitely upgrade to a larger tank......The larger the body of water, the easier it is to keep the water in shape for the fish........Go with the filter and heater, this will help keep your tank more stable..........I would suggest NOT to get oto catfish.......They are very sensitve to water parameters and they need a decent amount of algae to sustain them......IMO, they usually dont do well in smaller tanks...........You can try a few types of snails in with your betta to help with algae cleanup............I'm sure your betta wouldnt mind a few plants in his tank and certain plants help with water parameters.........Hope this info helps you out.......
Fishin Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #4 
Angelmonster

Low maintenance does not equal plants! Unless you have th emoney to buy an auto-timer for the lighting!

I suggest getting a five gallon tank. Get one or two decorations, some nice substrate and buying some fake silk plats. Arrange it so that there are a few hiding spots and put your Betta in there. Whenever you get a new tank it will take time to set it up to get the temperature right, the PH, amonioa etc etc. Still, if you get a ten gallon with JUST the Betta in it you can get away with doing a 10-20% water change weekly(when you pick up the debris in the substrate with a vac). If you get a 5 Gallon it will need more water changed out weekly.(remember conditioner for tap water, a PH/Amonia kit).

If you are looking for low-maintenance tank mates consider getting 4-5 cories. They stick to the bottom so the Betta usually leaves them alone. They also like the water your Betta likes. The only thing is they need a seperate food(something that sinks and th Betta won't eat).
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin Pole View Post
Definitely upgrade to a larger tank......The larger the body of water, the easier it is to keep the water in shape for the fish........Go with the filter and heater, this will help keep your tank more stable..........I would suggest NOT to get oto catfish.......They are very sensitve to water parameters and they need a decent amount of algae to sustain them......IMO, they usually dont do well in smaller tanks...........You can try a few types of snails in with your betta to help with algae cleanup............I'm sure your betta wouldnt mind a few plants in his tank and certain plants help with water parameters.........Hope this info helps you out.......
I had no idea about the Otos. I've read many places that they are okay in a well established tank with a Betta.
I've also read that snails cause more waste then help.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:04 PM   #6 
OlDrunk

Well I'm going to pick up new tank/heater today/tomorrow for starting off, so with just a filter on the tank I'll only have to do part water changes weekly and a full cleaning monthly? if thats the case then I can handle that much maintenance other then just a daily tidy clean up with a turkey baster.
this is the tank I plan to get will it be good? Any problems with adding a heater to it?
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/...itclassicblack

I don't like living things in my house dieing.

Last edited by OlDrunk; 06-02-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:13 PM   #7 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

That tank looks very similar to my Eclipse 6 so judging from my betta's experience I'd say yours will be very happy in this tank. There is no problem adding a heater to this tank!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #8 
OlDrunk

I picked up the tank today from petsmart , its a Top Fin Aquascene 5 Aquarium, its a 5 gallon tank, at the store when I tryed to buy a heater the sells girl wouldn't sell me a heater that it can't be used with that tank because its acrylic and will melt but when I brought the tank home and looked at it and read the manual it says a heater can be added and it has pop out tab on the lid to mount it so I guess I'll go back tomorrow and pick up a 25Watt submersible heater, I got the tank filled and the water has been treated and the filter is going so I guess in a day or so I can move hendrix to his new home I hope?
Old 06-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #9 
LiyahsGrandma

Very good info on the water change. Thanks so much
LiyahsGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #10 
LaniBaby

i have 2 acrylic tanks from marineland (the eclipse 3s) and both of them contain either a 25 watt or 50 watt submersible heater. No melting has occured in the last 16 months that i'm aware of, so i think you're clear.

you can probably move him in as soon as the water is up to the temp you want to keep him at (ideally near 80 F) as long as you conditioned the water properly and added all his necessary elements (i.e. dechlorinator, salt, etc.) I used to let my tanks sit for about 3 days prior to putting the fish in, just to be sure that it was stable, but i'll put them in quicker if i do a 100% change (not cycled tanks) as long as i use water that i've had sitting out for a few days. I still use the dechlor stuff but i always like to really make sure the water is free of chlorine.

I'd also advise you to watch your heater closely for the first 2 days or so. I had a heater that worked great for 14 months, then i took it out, cleaned out the tank for a few weeks (lost my betta Tuttle in February) and put the heater back in and the water crept up to over 84 degrees. It wasn't shutting off properly. So i had to go out and buy a new one.

good luck!
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote