today was kind of a surprise, I home to an extra fish sitting on my desk in a digusting smelly tiny bowl with poop and what I think is, remains of a java fern.
apparently today when my mom was picking some up flowers from the floral store, she saw this poor guy and tapped on his glass. my mom was like, "oh, he doesn't look so happy" and the owner started chatting with her about it, the lady apparently didn't really care much for the fish anymore so my mom was like, "oh I have kid who likes fish, maybe she can heal it" and she came back with it.
apparently, the dumb lady at the floral store thought that a single rotting plant in a bowl can "clean" it so she has never
cleaned his bowl before, EVER. His bowl holds like 2 cups of water..
the water was brown and smelled awful so I immediately got him out of there and dumped everything in the bowl. I was did a water test and omg, I was shocked, the ammonia levels were so high my test kit didn't register it! I can't believe this fish is even alive. I swear, this is exactly how the test showed up:
but I am more shocked at how resilient this fish is, after I placed him a 1.5 gallon with fresh clean warm water and some aq. salt, he slowly begun to swim and even accepted some frozen brineshrimp. only a couple hrs ago he was half-dead. I have high hopes for this fella, I think he is going to survive. once I perk him up, fatten him and do a round of preventative medication, he will be the first fish in my divided planted 10 gal.
he does have really bad ammonia burns, you can see the burns around his gills.
but I think it will heal, Im going to try and get him some IAL.
he doesn't have a name yet so I am open to suggestions, I was thinking of calling him Mercy but I am not sure?
needless to say, this was one neglected fish, hopefully he will get the life he deserves with me! after my last rescued red female died, I was so nervous about getting new fish that my 10 gal has been sitting empty.