Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #1 
ReeseInPieces

BEST 10 gallon filter???? NEW TANK, need info on cycling :s

Long story short I almost boiled my fish with a mini heater so I decided to get bigger tanks. Bought two ten gallon tanks with heaters but unfortunately no filters so whats the best filter I could get? Something with an easy current? Also It would be great to know a bit about cycling the tanks. How long will it take?
ReeseInPieces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

There isn't really the best filter, every filter has pros and cons. (:

I think an AquaClear 20 will be great for your tank; it's not that rough of a current. It's adjustable, and I have the 30 version. Does it's job well. ^.^ Either that, or a Hagen sponge filter will do just fine. As for cycling, you can just check the stickies in sub-forums. There's a sticky on this sub-forum that you posted on.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #3 
Seki

I have an Aqueon Quietflow20 in my ten gallon sorority and I LOVE it. It's super quiet and although it has a bit of a current, it can be easily baffled. I prefer a stronger current in my sorority to help break up squabbles haha. My fish handle it just fine~

Cycling... there are several stickies about it. After you take a look, if you have specific questions, maybe we can help you a bit more.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #4 
ReeseInPieces

I need the best filter for a divided tank, I heard mixed reviews for undergravel filters and I don't even know what a power filter is or what the difference is. I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to this stuff...
Old 08-10-2013, 05:20 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

UGF's are old-tech and ultimately a nuisance and finicky to operate. A power filter uses a motor-driven impeller to circulate the water.

A lot of us recommend sponge filters for Betta because they're quiet, low-current and foolproof. These are top-of-the-line sponge filters along with an article on how they work: Aquarium Sponge Filter | ATI | Bio Filters & Replacement Hydro Sponges

And here's the sponge filter thread: SPONGE FILTERS: Why and How
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:43 AM   #6 
rickey
Banned

I votes Sponge filter just because that's what I like

rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

I've switched all my 10g & 5g tanks to sponge filters. They're easily adjusted flow wise, don't take up a lot of room & my Bettas have absolutely no problem with the current. They also look better IMO, no big black thing taking up space on the tank wall & I think they're quieter.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:25 AM   #8 
Canis

I have two sponge filters in mine. Light current and my water is crystal clear all the time.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #9 
ReeseInPieces

I'm just concerned about space issues as well as efficiency, I was thinking maybe two mini HOB filters on each side because it will be divided?
Old 08-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A slick way to handle a divided tank is to use two dividers with the heater and filter between them.

---evens out the heat/filtration
---hard to see through
---hard to jump
---economical
---hides the plumbing

You can cycle in less than two weeks using live nitrifying bacteria from an established tank or bottled bacteria like Tetra Safestart. You can cycle in less than two months by waiting for the bacteria to fall out of the air into your tank.

For a 10g tank, you can more easily cycle with fish-in. Then it doesn't make any difference how long it takes; your fish are home.

Last edited by Hallyx; 08-10-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10gallon, cycle, divided tank, filter, tank