Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #1 
TiffanyP

Fin Rot Question

It's not really an emergency so I didn't want to put it in that thread, I was just wondering what the point was when you need to medicate for fin rot?

I've had Gaston for 2 weeks now, and he's doing SO well, I'm so happy he's settled in so nicely. He had some fin rot on his caudal fin from being in the nasty water of his cup for so long, so I've been using clean warm water with stress coat to treat that, doing water changes twice a week. He's in a heated, recently filtered 5.5 gallon, and the water prams are fine. The pH is high, about 8.3, but I'm not worried about that. The temp sits at a steady 79. Overall it's gotten better, but it still hasn't gone away. The dead part of the fin is starting to fall off now, which I think might be bugging him because I see what I think are a couple of bite marks. Other than his fins he has absolutely no other symptoms. I discovered he's a jumper and will jump for his food if I don't drop it quick enough haha He's probably in the best health I've seen him in since I got him, except for his tail fin. Should I start treating him with some AQ salt? Or give it more time to heal in just clean, warm water? I've never dealt with fin rot before so I'm not sure how long it takes to heal up or when I should start medicating. Thanks for your insights and input! I appreciate it :)

Here's a link to a picture of his tail as of just a few minutes ago: http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/ti...b45a8.jpg.html
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #2 
txbettaowner

just keep doing the water changes and using the API stress coat+. He will heal in time. Males take longer to heal for fin rot because of their longer tails
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #3 
TiffanyP

Okay thank you :) How long should I let him heal with clean water and stres coat before I intervene with some AQ salt?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #4 
txbettaowner

It can take a few weeks to a month
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #5 
Xaltd1

The one thing I've learned about bettas this trying year is that how they behave is everything. Butch, my EE, got some fin rot about 4-5 months ago. I upgraded him to a 10 gallon w/ a GOOD filter. I never treated, and his fins grew back, except for his "ears"- they are long and flowing, just a little more like torn toilet paper than before. But, he is clearly a happy, active fish. He has some oto catfish pals (he like to chase them) and a few snails to harass. Sick fish tend to look sulky- listless. Bettas aren't a grumpy fish; they are interested in everything. If you see him being sulky, I'd treat, but not before.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #6 
TiffanyP

That's why I was hesitant to go ahead and do it - he's so perky and he's built himself a HUGE bubble nest, he's very active and swimming all around and not at all acting sick. I'll keep up with the water changes and just let it run its course unless he starts acting sulky, like you said Xaltd1 :) Thank you for your thoughts!
Old 08-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #7 
Xaltd1

It was an expensive education! He sounds like a lucky fishy!
Old 08-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #8 
TiffanyP

He is! If the name Gaston didn't just absolutely fit him to a T, I'd have named him Lucky. There were probably 15 other bettas there with him on the shelf the day I got him. 3 days later they were down to 11. By the next Friday there were 8 still left in their cups on the shelf all dead and floating in their water still. It just sickens me. I'm so glad I picked him up when I did! He has just wiggled his way right into my heart and I wouldn't have it any other way :)
Old 08-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #9 
TiffanyP

I'm back again - on Thursday (15th) I noticed that his anal fin was turning a bit grey on the edges, darker in one spot in particular, and since his caudal fin really wasn't showing much progress either, I put him in a 1 gal 'hospital' tank with 1 tsp of aquarium salt and a double dose of Stress Coat+. He's doing just fine in there, acting normal and swimming animatedly, though maybe a bit put out that he doesn't have his big leafy plant he loves so much. I upped the AQ salt dosage to 1.5 tsp last night. His caudal fin looks like it's starting to heal finally, slowly but surely, but his anal fin doesn't show any signs of looking better, and the one darker spot looks a little bit darker even. I plan on using the AQ salt for 10 days max.

My question is, if, after 10 days I see no improvements, is there a medication I should use? Or should I just give him a 4-5 day break back in his 5 gallon and then do another round of AQ salt? I hate to medicate him if he doesn't really need it, but I don't want the fin rot to get any worse either.

Is there anything in his 5 gallon tank that I need to be doing to help keep the fin rot at bay when he gets back in there? When he's in his 5 gal, I've been doing 50% water changes 2-3 times a week (partially because of his fin rot, partially because I'm trying to get it cycled) and using a double dose of stress coat in there too.

Thanks for all of your help and for bearing with me through all of this :)
Old 08-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #10 
Xaltd1

I wish I could help you. SOMETHING wiped out all of my females in my 30 gal. Try reading more posts, and messaging the more knowledgable members directly.